YLI 100 wt Silk Color Chart

OK Sherri and Grammie:

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that there is a very good color chart of all 64 colors on Rose Rushbrook's website. Just google her...she's a fractal art quilter who retails the spools of YLI from her website. I have a wholesale account with YLI specifically for the 100 weight silk so here's the bad news...they're not great to deal with. I think you're probably better off finding a distributor who has the cones. When I've place orders directly with YLI, there is a long delay before anything arrives and the shipment is always incomplete. I'm still waiting on colors that I ordered last March. Oh, and they don't always answer my emails either. Granted, I"m a small potatoes customer but I wonder if their customer service (and ability to fill orders) is any better for customers who purchase large quantities.

Checker sells the thread...you can beat the retail price by about 30% if you have a wholesale account with them. I hope this will be helpful to you.

And on a happier note, the thread is awesome! Yes, I've also heard that it is wonderful for hand applique (I'll never put that to the test) and it is also wonderful for dense quilting where you want texture but not much thread build up. Happy hunting to both of you, Nancy in Tucson

Sheri B

I can vouch that the YLI 100wt silk thread is awesome. I have several colours but the one I use the most is a very pale grey. It just seems to melt completely into the fabric, no matter what colour the fabric is. Most of the ladies in the Baltimore group I go to use the 100wt silk thread.

Tracy G

Hey Kath:

Several of us George owners are using the 100 weight silk with a size 12 needle...Sharon Schamber uses it on her longarm machine as does Adam Chenevert who recently taught a longarm wholecloth quilting class on MQR.

Nancy in Tucson

I'm going to Portland this weekend and I'll check at EE Schenck for you. I've only seen a color sheet, not an actual thread card.

Here's a link to Diane Gaudynski's site and she answers questions on how to use silk thread for quilting.

http://www.dianegaudynski.net/question.htm

I haven't used it but I know people who do McKenna Ryan's patterns and use the silk for everything--very nice.

I thought I heard Superior Threads was going to be making silk thread & I've emailed them to confirm.

http://www.brewersewing.com/BQSS_Consumer/productmain.asp?sort=NEWEST&category=Thread&subclass=Silk

Brewer's Sewing does carry the larger cones.

I think i've been to every site mentioned except sue's, but thank you ALL!

Nancy, thank you dear for your honest response! It's greatly appreciated!

Makes me wonder why YLI is either NOT shipping orders until THEY want to, and not completed them, no contact/response via e-mail...etc.

Word gets around, but H E L L O . . . . . . why would that company have an aloof attitude? Makes me wonder. Oh well. Just questioning I guess.

RedRockThreads also has some, but no one seems to carry all 64 colors, and EVERYONE is out of a real color thread chart. **sigh**

Hi Sheri:

I sent you an email. Here's what happened with YLI...I didn't want to bore everyone by explaining it fully the first time I posted. I don't think they are being aloof...they are either simply out of control or else reeling from the increased demand for their product. In February I placed my first wholesale order. Two months later I contacted YLI to find out where it was. I was told that the thread wasn't expected into the country until late May and then it would have to be wound onto spools and cones so no telling when my order would be available. Since then I have received 3 piecemeal deliveries from my order. Some colors are still on backorder so I'm treasuring the cones they sent. Their thread is delicious but I'm eager for Superior to introduce their silk thread as they are terrific to do business with!

Nancy in Tucson

Hey Sheri:

Checker is one of the largest distributors (like EE Schenk). They sell fabrics, notions, books and the like to quilt shops. You can google...not sure of their email address. They won't do full wholesale to you but you can open a business account and get 30% off their catalog prices. Did you get my email, Sweetie?

Nancy in Tucson

Archived