tools we can't live without

jeri

As I was mindlessly stippeling forever today on a beautifully done printed cross stitched quilt today I was thinking about the tools that I can't live without for LA quilting. Many of those I had no idea that I would need when I bought my machine almost 2 years ago. There are lots of new owners or almost owners on this forum, I'm thinking some input here might help them out. I'll list some of mine on a following post as I need to get a couple of brand names from my quilt room downstairs. I'm sure I'll think of more in the next couple of days. Jeri

Ok, here is my start on a list.

1. A very sharp seam ripper with a tiny point Combicut brand from Hancock Fabrics. A large extended base (mine's 19" x 14") and some straight edge rulers of various sizes, my husband made mine from plexigalss scraps because our budget was really tight when I realized I really did need them.

2. A light you can set under your table -- star base lamp from Wal*Mart about $4.00-- or a flexible desk lamp that you can move around and point up (handy for removing stitches, checking tension, using your table for a light box).

3. A set of tools that fits your machine with a lock so that your husband or family can't "borrow" your tools.

4. Large bottle of alcohol (for cleaning wheels and quilts).

5. Paintbrushes for brushing away lint, a large brush usually used to sweep down walls after sheet-rocking works great to get rid of snippets of thread on a quilt.

6. Extra calculators (3 or 4) mine are always upstairs when I need to talk to someone about a quilt--bought several at the $1.00 store as all they need to do is multiply and divide.

7. A little wheel around cart with 3 shelves (about $10.00 at Wal*Mart) holds pins, sissors, thread-cutters, cleaning cloths, all those little things that you want to have handy and it can go with you.

8. Computer and printer. Couldn't live without it.

9. A could do without--thread cutter on machine, I never use it anymore. jeri

Guest Linda S

Does that matter if it's gin, vodka, or bourbon? ;)

Glad to see I have most of these. I love my little wheeled cart with all my do-dads in it.

Linda

Hey Linda,

I think some quilts will require all 3 of the tools you mentioned----vodka, gin, and bourbon! :D

One tool that I have handy is a very pointed tweezers-helps me thread the needle when using 3.5 needle. The older eyes can't see as well!

This post is in response to the 3 drawer carts. I have a limited area for my machine. I bought a 3 drawer cart to hold my "stuff" so it is handy and I can slide it under the table when not in use. I didn't have enough space and some of the drawers weren't deep enough to hold some large rulers and templates I have. So I made a "cart caddy". I used heavy denim (2 layers for the base fabric-serged together) to make a 3 sided caddy with pockets. The caddy hangs down on the sides and back. I measured the top and then sewed the 3 hanging panels to that. One side has one deep, long pocket, one has 2 pockets and one has three pockets. The caddy now hold all of my rulers and templates. To keep it from sliding (especially if the weight wasn't balanced on each side) I used some double face carpet tape under the top piece to hold it firmly in place and the top is still available to set things on. Just and idea.

Nancy

Nancy, what a great idea! I have 2 carts with 2 smaller drawers and 2 larger draws each under my machine. One cart holds all my rulers and templates except for a couple that are too larger. Your idea would be great for those.

My 2nd cart holds bobbins, marking pens, pencils, chalk, and the little notions. I purchased various sized dividers - found in Wal-Mart in kitchen section - to hold these. The larger bottom drawers hold the manual, HF arm, attachments etc.

I also have 2 of the 3-drawer carts for thread. Yes, I have a lot of thread. Have it divided-Bottom Line, Light cottons, Dark cottons, Varigated cottons, Varigated Poly, and poly/mono/metalic.

Then, I have these neat small 3-drawer containers that hold my prewound bobbins, DBK knives, HF stencils, exta lights, etc.

First post didn't show up so forgive this if it is a repeat.

Straight tipped forceps. Great fro grabbing those threads when frogging but even better for tieing off short ends.

A cheap mirror, the kind you hang on a door. Lays on the table and I can see the whole back of the quilt without standing on my head.

A boxcutter, one of the very small handles with sliding blades from 98 cent store. Lift the quilt top from the batting and you can slice the threads instead of picking from the topside. Be very careful not to touch the top tho.

I screwed cafe style curtain rods to the bottom of an old wood sided serving tray and put it across the rollers to hold all of my small items. The curtain rods keep it from sliding off.

Velcro - use it all over the place to hold things.

Hanging clear plastic shoe holder, very long and has plastic pouches down both sides, use it to store my pantos in.

Mary & Big Girl

Boy have you guys got it about the disappearing tools. I am forever trying to keep a tape measure. I even bought a neon yellow one so that I could find it, even if DH took it. Well that has disappeared also. I luckily found one of his to tide me over, but the next one will be neon pink - maybe that will keep him away from it!!

Jess

In reading this list of things I just had to charm in and add my 25 cents worth....regarding the apron...one pocket yes has the CD player and the other has the tiny tiny walkabout phone with its own headset wrapped around my neck, so I can continue to work while talking if I need to....I have several sisters that are always calling so they are use to the machine running as we talk. My only other great tip that I use alot is a very sharp Gingher embrodery scissor that I use to clip every other top stitch and then I reach under and pull the bottom thread. I can unsew a whole design way faster than using a seam ripper and I haven't cut a customers quilt (did that once with a seam ripper when I first started this 7 years ago, and haven't picked up one since) Instead of the boxcutter I use the small omni seam cutter or smaller rotary blade for what Merry mentioned...I call that skinning a quilt...have had to take out several king size quilts when I first started because customers didn't like the quilting and instead of telling them tough its what you asked for I just took the quilts out and resewed them...don't do that now.

Instead of Gummi Bears at my house its Male M&M's

Everyone have a great quilting day.

Bonnie

I'm pretty new, so my list is shorter, although now my shopping list is longer. I have a small hooked tweezer perched on top of my machine...great for threading, and helps alittle with ripping. I have a very small crochet hook and a curved embroidery scissor I use for frogging. I did tear one top using a seam ripper, it was mine but still....one false move and there was a 1/2 inch booboo.

I use several rubbermaid containers for my threads, and rulers and pantos..I'm not very organized yet. I like the idea of the rolling cart, but I am on carpet and I am afraid it will be more of a hassel rolling it under the machine.

Best thing that I stumbled across was a magnetic tray that is found in a mechanics shop (mine was $3.99 at harbor freight). It rests on the rails while I pin and un pin. I never put it near the machine because of the magnet, but it works great and I never spill pins.

Cheryl

Guest Linda S

The little magnetic thingy that suction cups onto the machine head so your scissors can remain within reach at all times. Gotta love it.

Linda

Bonnie,

That's a cool idea...where on the machine do you stick it? I'm so worried about the magnet messing up the electronics...and I have no idea where to stick it to do no damage.

I'm going to look for some of those suction cups, too. I have my tweezer on top of the machine...sort of hooked onto the oil wicks to keep it from coming off.

I do use the curtain rods to keep the side tension elastic up and out of the way....especially when using the extended base otherwise they bang and catch when you get close to the edges.

This is a great informative thread!!

Cheryl

Cheryl, I have the ULT II so I don't have any electronics to avoid, so the magnet stripe is along the top behind the thread guide and in front of the motor. I would ask APQS where it would be best if you have special things to consider, but I won't think it would hurt anything unless there is a computer chip inside somewhere...magnets don't interfer with electronics.

Well off to get more done...everyone have a great quilting day.

Bonnie

Well, you guys have mentioned nearly all of my favorites already, except for the "squizzers" I use for frogging. Darlene Epp sells them on her website; They have a smooth curved hook that you can slip under the offending stitch and clip it without also clipping the quilt. They have been well used!:( On the magnetic scissor spot just above the speed gauge I have a pair of tweezers and a self threading needle for burying threads. On the counter, behind me, I have a two tier lazy susan from Lowe's that has marking pencils, chalk, small screw driver for the bobbin case, thread nets etc.

Cynthia, you made me giggle, Until I moved my equipment from my studio last year I would have my music blasting until sometimes 3am, now that it sets in the livingroom. At 3am there are times I turn around and there is someone standing behind me with his hands on his hips.....oh, man!!!....oops forgot he was home, guess that's what he gets for living on the east coast since last August amd making me close my shop down.....still giggling.

Bonnie

Guest Linda S

Well, I have no one to scare with the loudness of my music except the kitties. Now that you mention it, I had better go shopping for a boom box of some sort!

Linda

I used to wear my headphones in the studio and really "had a groove on" when my hubby would walk in and scare the crap out of me. He liked watching, but asked that I please not sing along....

I find up tempo is good for moving quickly, afraid I will need clasical for heirloom work.

Add a Mini-Fridge to the list...need to have water close by. :D

When you find something that works really well, it's amazing how quickly it becomes indispensible. One thing I cannot load without is a miniature pin cushion on a little elastic band made by Dritz which I found at Joann Fabrics -- costs about $3.75.

It fits on one finger or two and puts the pins as close as possible to where you need them (I'm left-handed so put it on my right index finger) -- handier even than a wrist pin cushion because the pins are 3-4" closer to where I'm working. Small as it is, it holds gobs of corsage pins -- more than enough for a long side. After getting used to my first one, I ordered three more to be sure I always have one on hand, even if I stretched the elastic too much or lost track of it (they're small).

I also find the Gadget Girls Lil Gal short straight edge guide very useful -- good for helping follow curves and shapes as well as making straight lines, easy to move around, too small to get in the way, light so okay to leave sitting on your quilt as you work.

Mary :)

Archived