QD wool vs Hobbs Heirloom wool

I have only used the QD wool and love it. Can't get any around here right now - everyone is out. I did find one Hobbs Heirloom in the right size. Has anyone used this wool batt and if so, do you like it? I notice that quilting on this batt has to be closer than the QD - 3" vs 8". Also, any problems with pokies with the Hobbs - do I have to worry about an up/down side of this batt.

thanks

Meg

wool battings seem to make such a pretty loft and make the quilting look beautiful, but I am wondering if it makes a quilt to hot for people who live in warmer climates. Have you used one on your own bed, must be pretty warm in the desert most of the time anyway. I was going to use one for my Lone Star quilt which will go on my bed and a friend told me I might want to reconsider if I wanted to use it on the bed even in winter it might be too hot!! What do you all think is wool too warm for southern climates?

I have 2 wool quilts and love them.

I get warm but not sweaty like I do with poly. I just kick poly off after a while.

We have a quilt on our bed year round; usually cotton in summer/fall and wool in winter/spring. QD wool is divine. I have not tried the Hobbs wool.

What size do you need, Meg? Is this for the wedding quilt?

Meg,

I just bought some QD wool from Fabric Depot in Portland. They don't appear to have king size in stock but they currently have the other sizes on sale. I have used Hobbs and liked it. I haven't yet tried the QD as it isn't available in my area and just received my order a few days ago so I can't compare the two.

http://www.fabricdepot.com/index.php?page=CatalogPage&pageid=121539

I hope that you will still visit here when you have sold your machine. I have enjoyed the pictures of your lovely quilts.

Sue

Hi Meg,

I love Hobbs wool, its like butter to quilt, I used it on my own and I am loving it. I was told it is good even after washing and that it is good for all kinds of weather.

There was a thread here in our chatroom before where few members from warm climate endorsed it.

Also, last Thursday a member of our guild did show and tell a quilt with wool batting that had been washed so many times and still retains its original shape.

Corey

Already love the wool - have used it a lot. Just have not used the Hobbs - just the QD. I don't think it is too warm at all & I love it in the desert. For those of us in very warm climates - we all have AC anyway and so we use what feels good and wool feels so good and breaths - much more snugly than cotton! Plus I love to quilt with it and I think it looks so pretty when done!!

Thanks for all your replies & Heidi, thanks for the heads-up about why I have not been able to find the King. Linda C is going to ck her stash tonight. I might get lucky!!

Archived