New quilter needs input

Originally posted by Tony123

Choloalic - great advice. I have been having issues w/loops both on top and bottom and have had my machine for a year. Those darn loops just pop up surprising you.

Now I am quilting a quilt for a customer who brought me "crappy" batting. Never again will I let a customer go w/out first looking at her batting. Polyester is aweful.

I use polyester batting all the time and never have any problems with it. Every once in a while I get a loop here or there and normally it is my needle, bobbin or tension issue.

So you are saying that the batting is not the culprit? When you say it could be your needle, in what what? Too small, too large, not a new one. Can you elaborate on that. I am still ripping but you also mention bobbin, tension. I thought tension as well so when I get this clear and plan on sandwiching her batting on a tester.

If you have batting poking through, try a new needle. It could also be the weave of the backing.

I usually test with the client's quilt. Along the side, you should have a few inches of just batting and backing where the clamps attach. I place a scrap of fabric on here (not on the top) and test my tension, etc.

Good luck!

Julia

Julia is right, it could be the needle. Sometimes even a new needle will have a small burr on it. I prefer to use 3.5 but 4.0 work well too. For my bobbin tension I keep it pretty loose. Make sure you clean your bobbin case regularly (I clean after every bobbin with a brush). I will put my bobbin in the case and hold the case in my hand. When I pull of the thread tail the case will want to lift up. It should stand up in you hand when you pull on the thread tail but I can't pick it up with the thread tail. Now put it in and adjust your top tension. If you are really having trouble with your tesion loosen it completely until you have really sloppy looking stitching. Make sure you blow out between the tension disks. Fuzz in there will create problems for you too. Now keep tightening your tension a full turn at a time until your stitches look close to where you want them. Then adjust a 1/4 turn at a time. Make sure you have cleaned really well. It is amazing what a little bit of fuzz can do to your stitches.

For the quilt sandwich make sure you don't have it too tight but not too loose either. I like mine a little tighter than most but it works for me. If you hear popping when your stitching it could either be a dull needle or your sandwich is too tight. Also what kind of thread are you using? I use mostly SoFine & BottomLine, sometimes Kingtut & Signature. It could be your thread combination. I hope that all helps.

Julie, thanks for all the info. I will try all this. It has taken me days to rip all this out and it is not a large quilt. I usually use 4.0 needle and I put a new needle in for each quilt. I do know that sometimes there are defective needles. Your info will be invaluable in the future. Sounds like I am badmouthing polyester and yet others use it all the time and have not problems?

Use a needle and poke them back into the batting. Or get a #10 or smaller metal crochet hook to pull them back to the batting side. This is if you have sparse loops. If you have lots, make a note of the fabric/thread/batting /needle size combo so you can tweak the tension/needle size/tightness of the sandwich when presented with the same combo again.

And most important--when things are perfect, write the combo down again for future reference.

I have a hand-written chart--for King Tut, 4.0, cotton batting it says

Use Sewer's Aid, bobbin at 15 (Towa gauge setting), top tension set "too tight", loose on the rollers. This combo stopped the back loops for me.

Julie, you asked what kind of thread. I am using King Tut on top and Bottom Line on Bottom. I love Permacore because it seems to work w/everything but I had some verigated that would compliment this throw. Got to say that I have not had a lot of luck w/King Tut. Always some issue until I work it out.

Linda, can you elaborate on the needle/hook just a bit. I went into my mothers things and found a size 7. Very tiny. Am I suppose to run the hood into the stream of thead and pull? If I use a needle, do I thread it somehow.

All you ladies hints helped. Got my first good night's sleep since last Monday. You know how you take these things to bed. Finally got all ripped out and cleaned up. Pulled the King Tut and went back to Peracore, my old standby. Blew out dust everywhere. Seemed to be pretty clean. I am a stickler for maintenance so I did think it was this area but gave it a try anyway. Then went onto tension. Loosed my bobbin (which has bottom line) and tightened my top tension. Walla! It is working pretty daren well. I still have a loop here and there so that is why I am asking the above questions.

You ladies are my heros. Great to be part of a group is that so eager to share what works and what hasen't.

\\

Bless you.

You're on your way now, but I didn't see (maybe I missed it) that anyone suggested a Towa Bobbin Tension tester. I love mine and use it everytime I wind new bobbins. There are different opinions on what the "magic" tension is so you'll have to come up with your own I think. But, in my opinion, that is one of the most valuable "gadgets" I have invested in.

Archived