New quilter needs input

OK..so we have finally finished the "studio" where my Millennium is to live. Its painted, with the flooring down and everything. So, the next project was to set up the machine, which we did over the weekend. I loaded some cheap muslin and have begun to practice. I am finding it difficult to make circular patterns. They come out kinda square with rounded off corners. Is this just new quilter's syndrome, or do I need to make adjustments to my wheels? Yes, the machine is level in all directions.

An acquaintance got her machine about a month ago, and she is just zipping along, doing pantos and quilting for her Mom's friends. I feel at present that I may never get to that point, unless all my friends want their quilts with rounded off squares all over them! (Knowing an over-achiever is not helpful!) I really have only spent a few hours playing on the machine. Am I just expecting too much of myself....I at least thought I'd be able to do a swirly spiral thing! Are there pointers to offer to avoid the squared off looking patterns. Should I quilt closer to the quilt top roller, farther away from it, change the handle position or something else?

Also, I have some thread breaking issues. I put a spool of King Tut on at first, and that was a total disaster. I switched to Bottom Line on top, and that went pretty well with whatever thread came on the bobbin from the factory. When I changed bobbins to some pre-wound samples of Superior that came with my machine, it was really bad. One of the bobbins actually fell apart. I put in a new bobbin with some So Fine, with the Bottom Line on the top, and the thread is breaking all the time. Is that because of the difference in strength between the bobbin thread and the weaker top thread?

I will master this, but it sure is harder than it looks! Any encouraging words?

I'm no expert but my advice to you would be to relax, play for a while and take advantage of the free lessons that came with your machine. There are all kinds of tricks and tweeks that you will learn as time passes but your best bet is someone else who has a machine, too. I was terrified of my Millie till I took some lessons---and I'm planning on taking more as they become available.

square circles (imho) is a new quilter syndrome as well as wheels too tight... you might want to check to see if your wheels could use some loosening... also you should be able to guide the head with ease-- no pushing or pulling should be necessary... as for the breaking thread--tension tension tension... welcome to the club!! :)

Squared circles can be common for newbies, but it also may be because your wheels aren't adjusted right. In your manual read about how to adjust the wheels (if you got a dvd from APQS about maintenance and getting started) watch it because it will show you how to adjust the wheels properly also. Then loosen up, turn on some music and just relax and have fun.

As for the thread try using So Fine in the top and Bottom Line in the bobbin, this is the combo that most of us do use.

Also if you are having issues with thread breackage check your upper tension, it may be too tight.

Again relax...and if your aquaintance is available have her stop by your place and show you some pointers.

Lynn, My daughter recently finished quilting her first quilt and just started her second. When she first started quilting her circles looked like rounded squares. I notice she was a little nervous, stiff and had a almost death grip on the handles. I put on some music, told her to relax, go with the flow and pretend like she is dancing with the machine. Once she did that her circles were round and her quilting looked more free flowing. Try that and see how your quilting looks. If it doesn't improve and your machine feels like it is dragging a bit, than maybe you might have to adjust your wheels/carriage.

As far as the thread breakage problem, it sounds like a tension issue. When I first started quilting I had a lot of issues, I read over my manual about tension and learned a lot on how to adjust. With a little trial and error I got the tension where it worked for me. You will learn that the tension will change depending on the thread type and thread manufacture. I always do a practice run when I start a new quilt or do a thread change. I hate it when you have to rip out stitching from your quilt. One of the nice things about APQS machines that I have found is that once you have your tension set and use the same brand thread on the top and bottom, I never have to touch the tension....It holds pretty steady. I hope this helps. There are a lot more experience quilters on this forum that are more than willing to help out. So don't be shy, if you have any questions no matter how stupid you may think they are, don't be afraid to ask...There are no stupid questions here. Good Luck and I hope everything works out.

Lynn,

I am new at this too. I had to spend a lot of time adjusting and readjusting the wheels to get my machine to move smoothly. It still is not as smooth as my dealers machine. I just can't seem to get it like hers. She does have edgerider wheels though. That may be the difference. Now mine moves smoothly enough so that I can make pretty curves though. It may take hours, but tinker with the wheels till you're happy.

I also have had breakage with King Tut. So Fine works great for me.

Happy quilting.

Jessica

also- don't compare your 'growth' to others....everyone learns things differently....

it's just a sewing machine (a big'un) on wheels...

relax and imagine that your millie is a new box of crayons and the muslin is a brand spanking new coloring book...

and have FUN!!! it'll all work out in the long run...

Lynn,

I would try loosening the wheels just a bit and see if that helps. A trick that I learned from Dave Jones (DeLoa's husband) was to stitch circles, round and round as fast as I could without thinking about it. Eventually your muscles take over and you can just do them. Once you get them in one direction reverse and go the other direction. Do this both in SR mode and not. Also practice cursive writing with the machine. THat you already know how to do and now you just have to adjust to your new writing implement!

As for thread breakage it is all in the tension and your movements. If you are jerky you can cause your thread to break. Try to move in smooth even movements. What I do to get my tension right is to work the bobbin thread first. I loosen it to the point where when I put the bobbin case in my hand and pull on the thread tail the bobbin case will want to pick up but it can't but the thread pulls. Once the bobbin is where I want it (you do have to check this with each bobbin change) then work on the top tension. I first loosen the top tension and look at my stitches. They should be ugly! I tighten 1 turn at a time until I have it close to where I want it. Then I tweak with 1/4 turns. Once you get over the fear of messing with the tension life will be so much better! For Kingtut try only going through 1 or 2 of the holes instead of all 3 or you can even weave it up the first and down the 2nd instead of around. It all just takes lots of ppp'ing and chocolate certainly doesn't hurt!

Hi Zora,

I am a newbie too and I can tell you I was horrified at my first swirls and circles at the reps studio :D But I can assure you it will work. To me it was helpful to do some designs with a pen on paper. Repeating again and again, lot of sheets, everyday for a few minutes during the time I had to wait for the delivery of my machine. I still try to do it everyday, only 5 to 10 minutes, so my muscles get used to the movement.

The first times I had also problems with my bobbin tension. Had to loosen it a lot.

I had problems with King Tut also, thank you Merrill for your tip with the 2 wholes.

You see Zora you're not alone :) Relax and enjoy quilting!

1. Square circled - relax. You are brand new and you are doing what all newbies do, create square circles! As far as your friend, there is a world of difference between where you are at and a month from now. That is, of course, providing that you ppp (practice, practice, practice) between now and then.

2. Leave the wheels alone for now. If after you have been using the machine for a couple of weeks, it still isn't moving as easily as you expect, then check out the wheel issue. I have found that too many beginners adjust their wheels and actually make them worse. If the machine is moving easily, the wheels are probably all right. If your machine is new, it was adjusted at the factory with the wheels in the corrct position.

3. Thread breakage. a) Bottom line is really a bobbin thread and so will break more easily on the top. Experienced quilters use in on the top, but it takes some tension adjusting for you to be able to do this. King Tut is an excellent thread for the top of your machine and is the easiest for beginners to use. Bottom line, especially the pre-wounds should work beautifully in the bobbin, but you have to make sure you have the tension set correctly. You will have to do this every time you change threads on the top or bobbins. Using your manual/DVD check the tension of the bobbin. When you are sure that you have that set correctly, insert the bobbin in the machine.

B) Now thread the machine. Follow the factory directions on how to thread it for now/ the thread path to follow. As you gain experience, you can play with the thread path.

c) Take a few stitches with stitch regulator on (this is the easiest way to stitch without breaking the thread). How do the stitches look?

d) If your tension knob on the side of the machine doesn't have any kind of mark on it, make one with a permanent magic marker. You will need to turn the tension knob at least 1/2 turn around to have much effect on the tension. It is not like the domestic sewing machines where just a little turn makes a difference.

e)If you can see the bobbin thread being pulled to the top, the top tension is too tight. If the top looks ok, look on the back.

f) If you see the top thread on the back, the top tension is too loose. This will give you an Dawn has an excellent article on the APQS site regarding the tension 'tug of war'. You might want to check that out.

This should solve your thread breakage issues. Happy quilting.

I, too, am new to longarm quilting. I bought my machine used from an area quilter back in April. I was very concerned that I didn't have more control and that my circles were wonky. I figured that it was the wheels, but checked mine with what Dawn had said and the bolts are all towards the loose setting. Then I was sure that it was because my machine has the old brown wheels and that the front axle needed moved forward. ( I still intend to have DH move the axle and change to edgerider wheels at some point.) Anyways, I practiced quite a bit and still was having trouble. Then I got sick with the flu and was down for about 3 weeks. When I felt better, I gave the wheels and the rails a really good cleaning, loaded up a practice piece and went to town. The practice piece didn't look too bad. I think that it gave me some confidence. I still can't do decent feathers, but I'll keep practicing. Earlier this month I loaded my first quilt on the Millie and did an all over loop meander. It's not perfect, but it's not terrible either. It was a twin size for my oldest granddaughter's third birthday. I am just finishing sewing the binding on it this week.

So, the moral of my story is to keep practicing and don't be overly critical of your work.

Good Luck!

Linda

Lynn, first let me say welcome to our family and to the wonderful world of "not as easy as I thought" I bet most quilters when newbies went through the very same things you are.

Sheila has given you some very good advice in a nice number format. Read it carefully.

Don't be so hard on yourself. square circles are perfectly normal until your arm muscles learn the new way to move. I was sure I would never be able to quilt a feather or circle or swirl of any kind. I find I still can't if I have a death grip on my handles and I can always tell now when I am holding my handles too tightly because the roundness disappears.

as far as breaking thread, try using your bottom line in the bottom and your sew fine in the top. I can tell you for me the tension issue almost did me in. I spent more hours crying and being frustrated than I ever did being joyful, so I totally sympathize with anyone going through the tension issue. The way to adjust tension is just soooo much different than adjusting tension on our DSM.

Please breath sister and give yourself some grace. Also the advice of not comparing yourself is invaluable. I was afraid forever to do anything on a quilt because I couldn't match up to all the wonderful talent on this forum. I have finally reached the place that I am just going for it and doing what I can with the hopes that some day I will be half as good, but if I'm not, it is okay.

Feel free to come here any time for some encouragement and hugs. ((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))

You've gotten some really good advice/tips here already. Rest assured, the circles will come with time. It's a very common issue in the beginning.

Thread breakage, like a number of people have said, is likely a tension issue. Most of us have been told never to change the bobbin tension on our DSM's. This makes us fearful of adjusting that bobbin. Now that I've gotten over that fear, tension is rarely an issue any more. In the beginning it may seem like you are constantly fighting with it but once you get the feel for your machine, adjusting the tension will become second nature. Each machine/quilter combination is different. What works for one person may not work for the next person. All I can say is don't be afraid to try different things until you come up with what works for you.

One thing I have not seen mentioned regarding the pre-wound bobbins, after I put the bobbin in the bobbin case, I remove the cardboard side that is facing out. I read that here but I don't remember the exact reasoning for doing it. Maybe the thread catches on the cardboard? Maybe the cardboard prevents the bobbin from spinning? I don't know, but it works for me.

Lynn,

One more thing to eventually pay attention to is needle size. I was in tears one night with horrible breakage problems about three days into owning my machine. And of course it was close to midnight on a weekend so I couldn't call anyone. Then I opened up the information on Superior Thread that came with my machine. In the back of the glossy brochure was a listing of the different threads; whether the threads can be used as the top, bobbin, or both; and the needle sizes to use with each thread. Changing to a correct thread type for the top thread and t he correct needle for the thread size took care of my breakage problem.

Here is wishing you great fun and joy with your machine;)

Another Lynn

Thread tension issues can cause a great deal of tension. And as everyone has already said, you are not alone in this.

Refer to manual for threading and make sure your thread is between those discs when threading - they can pop out easily. Also make sure your bobbin thread is in correctly - sometimes it is easily put in backwards.

I found sofine on top and prewound bobbins from Superior worked great.

Don't forget your hopping foot, quality of batting and fabric. All these need to match up too. You don't want to have too poor a quality even for practice pieces.

For practice, refer to the ones in the book, they really help. Pantos can also help train your brain, so don't rule that out.

So, walk away, take a deep breath and then return with new enthusiasm.

I frequently visit Warrensburg, MO. Would love to hook up when down there.

Have fun!

Carol

You have already received some great advise, especially about not comparing yourself to others. Our lightbulbs all light up at different times and each of us tend to better at certain things. So, be nice to yourself.

An additional thought about King Tut. I have used it a lot and really like it. Have found it to be a little finicky. My solution is Sewers Aide. I run a line down the spool in 4 places and it works like a charm. I am pretty generous with it. When the stitching gets a bit rough again, another 4 lines of Sewers Aide. That stuff works wonders with some of the threads. I once had a bad cone and it was replaced. So if all else fails, try a different cone of King Tut and you will know.

Welcome, relax, breath, and most of all, be nice to yourself. You are probably doing better than you think.

Zora, I had the same problem with my square circles. Along with the advice you have already received, the 2 things that helped me the most was when a friend and APQS Rep in Texas told me to let go of the handles with such a tight grip and just use your fingers and BREATH. I was holding my breath because I was so afraid I might do something wrong.

Breathing helped and using light grip really helped.

Good luck.

You've gotten great advice. The only thing I can think of that I didn't see mentioned is that you may need to go faster.

I've taught many many people to use a long-arm, and the initial tendency is to go slow, thinking that if you really concentrate, you can make that perfect circle. In fact, the opposite is true. If you're going slowly, try speeding up.

Also, try doing a circle around and around in the same place, going the same direction to get a feel for the motion. Then do the same thing in the opposite direction.

I tell people to relax the death grip, put on the music, get your hips into it and swirl your body in a circle with your arms steady - pretend you're dancing with your machine. Sway back and forth and see if you don't have lovely flowing lines.

This is really so much fun when you get the hang of it. Keep it up and practice and you'll definitely see improvement :).

Julia

Thanks everyone. I was unable to access the forum yesterday (or my machine,either). Today I went down, threaded the machine with So Fine in both bobbin and top of the machine, and had exactly zero thread breakage. I got out my Sally Terry Hooked on Feathers book, and did some really pretty acceptable feathers. As suggested, I loosened my death grip, did a bunch of "e's" and "l's" plus some circles and and loops. All went pretty well, and I didn't have a single square circle. And yes, I expect there is quite a difference between now and a month from now. Thanks for reminding me of that. Its easy to feel intimidated by the wonderful quilters here, but it helps to hear that your were all newbies. Thanks again everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

Choloalic - great advice. I have been having issues w/loops both on top and bottom and have had my machine for a year. Those darn loops just pop up surprising you.

Now I am quilting a quilt for a customer who brought me "crappy" batting. Never again will I let a customer go w/out first looking at her batting. Polyester is aweful. I have loops on both top and bottom and now have to rip, rip, rip. I have a tester and it went fine and then at 3:00 a.m. I woke up knowing that my tester had 100% batting. So no apples to apples here. So when I finally finish ripping, I will sandwich some of her crappy batting and deal with the tension.

But I agree that newbies need to relax and just try to absorb something each day. You will get there.

Archived