Fill around applique first?

Which method is the best? Do you do your background fill around appliques first and then SID around the applique? Or the other way around with SID first and then background fill?

Thanks for your help. I have some great projects to practice on, but they are very beautiful and any tips I get to help keep me from messing them us is so much appreciated.

Jessica

In Sharon Schamber videos, she recommends doing the fill first behind applique. She explains that she does this because the fabric is already drawn up and has "drawn out" the ditch around the applique. So after you SID around the applique and then wash the quilt, the SID around the applique is drawn up under the applique and is all but invisible.

She also does not prewash the background fabrics so that the SID gets drawn up under the applique even more when it is washed.

One of the great mysteries of life to me is how something can be done two different, and frequently opposite ways to achieve the same thing.

I have lived with this as I married my complete opposite, and I am continually amazed at how we approach everything from opposite positions and somehow they both work. How it is possible to do so many things in completely opposite ways and have it work ? ? ?

It really is a matter of what works for one may not work for another.

If the end result is the same, it doesn't matter how we got there. It just may take some people longer to do it.

The last applique quilt I did. Mother Goose Nursery. I pinned the outer edge of the quilt first, I SID around the block, Then I did the SID around the applique and I worked the background fill as I SID. I needed to do a lot of stitching across the applique as they were large pieces so it was easier to fill the background as I worked my way to the next SID point.

Lyn

Archived