quilts made from linen

I have a potential customer who wants a quilt made from old family linen material. Apparently her MIL did beautiful embroidery work. The goal is to save the embroidery from some pieces that may not be in such great shape overall. Are there any 'gotchas' in working with linen?

Thanks is advance for any advice.

Lynn

Lynn, I am currently working on some small linen quilts. I'm using Cindy Needham's book called Wholecloth Linen Quilts. I did use Soft Fuse on one of the placemats and the result was very nice. The placemat had no wrinkles or puckers, and the CH I used is nicely defined. I used matching thread and from a distance all you see is the placemat and the lovely embroidery. The second one I did, I used a green thread to match some of the embroidery thread. It's an interesting one too. I also used the soft fuse on this one too. I have enough linens to try one without the soft fuse, but I think I will starch it and press to remove as many wrinkles as I can before quilting it. I got interrupted before I finished my samples so won't have pictures for a while. My biggest problem is designing the layout. Just too many possibilities. I'm trying to keep them small because the family is huge and everyone wants one. The placemat surrounded by a border is probably my best size. Doing a whole quilt would probably be out of the question for me.

Oh, I did use quilters dream batting, but really thin request weight. and muslin backing--just for a wallhanging. Here is one photo

This is the thread where I asked for help.

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=18214&page=1#pid212384

post--13461902568897_thumb.jpg

Boni,

Thank you for pictures and suggestions. I've read mixed things about the book and was hesitant to pick up a copy.

I picked up the linens today - beautiful fabric but less embroidery than I had anticipated. There is more than enough to do a beautiful whole cloth quilt - but I'm not up to that. So, I think we'll go with something simply pieced that features the embroidery from several pieces. The goal is to get the linens out of a chest and back into use in the household as a quilt.

Lynn

I did a cross stitched linen table cloth for a gal that her grandma had made but never finished and now wanted to make it a wall hanging.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2080695340040021749SNvIgT

The first pic is it as I got it.

It got a blue ribbon at the state fair this year.

I treated it just like any other top and had no problems at all. I didn't want to get it wet so used a purple Marvy marker, the air erase kind.

Good luck and have fun! Be sure and show us pics!

Archived