what would you tell them?

Most quilt magazines give quilters directions for piecing the backing with either horizontal or vertical seams. They also tell quilters that if the seam is vertical (from top to bottom of the quilt) that the quilter should make a center panel with a panel on each side of it, making two vertical seams rather than one down the center. That seems like a waste of time and fabric to many quilters, so explain why that is better for a machine quilter, and how they will benefit in the long run.

To me the one thing that prevents a lot of grief is square up each step, block, unit, etc. as you go, and you automatically end up with a squared top, unless you stretch as you sew units together. I never measure a quilt top to but the borders on, and the most I've been Off in years is about 3/4 ", which was dealt with when blocking the quilt.

Also, another tip, unless you are to provide the backing, never accept a top with out a backing. I did and 2 weeks later still didn't have it. They claimed they were to get it to me 3 days before a large custom quilt was needed to be finished, not the 2 or 3 days they actually said it would be to me.

On the 3 days I'd not have considered taking the job.

RitaR

Archived