what would you tell them?

i'm giving a trunk show/ LA discussion to a local guild. besides measuring for borders, pressing corretly, and making backs big enuf,

what would you tell piecers in an educational presentation capacity?

to make our lifes as professional LAers easier?

that way i can feel comfortable saying 'WE" :) *giggle*

about being square.... and the battings... some times they choose the wrong batting for the type of quilting they want. Also a little description in e2e versus panto versus custom and what are the things you look for to determine what to use on a quilt. It would be neat if you could video it and share..

Don't forget the whys: why the batting & backing need to the size we need; why pressing is so important; why certain battings work better than others for certain applications; why wavy borders don't necessarily 'quilt out'. You are good with the camera - so lots of pictures to help those in the audience who may not have seen Nemo or his equivalent. The pictures don't need to be in the handouts; just the presentation.

Depending on your mood, you could remind folks that this is a business for many folks. If they expect ontime delivery from you, you have to have their quilt delivered in its scheduled time slot. On time pick up and payment determine whether or not the bills get paid.

Remember to sell your suggestions to the quilters in terms of making sure that they get the best result from us, not just making our lives easier:) If you have an order (or intake) form you & your customers fill out, you could use that as the framework to discuss batting, thread, and other details.

Have fun.

Lynn

You might also tell them that if they piece their outer border, to stay stitch the edge so that their stitches stay locked when we put them on the long arm machine.

And what a neat opportunity for you to get to share your passion with a guild. I know that they will enjoy the education of what LA'rs do and how they can help us do a better job for them.;)

Also, it is interesting for them to see how quilting affects the overall quilts. I would give a presentation like yours, but I made 4 small quilts, all the same and fabric too. Then I quilted them 4 different ways so they could see how each looked. I just made a nine patch with an alternating solid block. It was 3 blocks by 3 blocks and they were at least nine inches finished blocks. It opened some eyes about their choices. I did a dense panto, a more open one, custom quilted and I can't remember the 4th.

Just a thought and I know it takes time to make all that.

I really like Lynn's suggestion to explain the "why we need it this way"

1) Why we need the borders to be measured and sewn on correctly

2) Why we need the blocks in the top to be square (not wonky) (no b and c cups)

3) Why we need seams and intersecitons pressed flat,

4) Why we need the back to be square,

5) And if they piece the back, why we need those pieces to be square, too (just like the top) (no sags)

6) Why we need a minimum 6-8 inches wider/longer than top to clamp and float

7) Why we need them to remove loose threads, fur, hair, dirt, etc. from the top, batting and backing

8) Why we need to charge them extra for things like removing fur, hair, dirt; press seams, starch b and c cups, squaring up back; piecing back together, etc...

9) Explain the investment we've made, the expenses we've incurred (machine, tools, thread, books, training classes, etc.. yadda,yadda overhead costs, space for machine, heat, lights, incurance etc...

10) Explain the TIME it takes and what's involved in the quilting process. Time taken considering the quilting design; time required for ruler work, time required to mark the quilt; tieing and burying threads, it's all very time consuming. Time is money!

10) Why we love quilting. Why we love quilters. Why we love to create and make people happy in finishing their tops; Why the quilting community is such a wonderful place filled with wonderful people.

Maybe it might be helpful to take photos or explain the step by step process in quilting a quilt-- this way they understand some of the challenges we encounter with various quilt tops.

I think if you use some of our technologically-correct terms it eases the mood. ie: b & c cups, how borders are called friendly because they're waving at us, etc. To me, this takes the edge off of telling them what to do...altho' I think you would be very tactful and entertaining anyway, so you don't have to worry!!!

square, square, square!

I tell my customers that I measure the edge and the middle (both ways). If there is a bigger differance than 1 1/2" I call them so they can fix it before I start.

I have a handout that I give my customers showing them how to measure and add on their borders to make them square. If you want a copy, send me a U2U with your email id and I will send it to you..

I really like Cheryl's idea of the 4 same quilts quilted differently.

I would also add the discussion "what is the best way to piece your quilt backs for longarms" and talk about why this matters.

I might be doing this for our guild next year so these are all great ideas!!

Originally posted by Stagecl

Also, it is interesting for them to see how quilting affects the overall quilts. I would give a presentation like yours, but I made 4 small quilts, all the same and fabric too. Then I quilted them 4 different ways so they could see how each looked. I just made a nine patch with an alternating solid block. It was 3 blocks by 3 blocks and they were at least nine inches finished blocks. It opened some eyes about their choices. I did a dense panto, a more open one, custom quilted and I can't remember the 4th.

Just a thought and I know it takes time to make all that.

This is a great idea! You should get busy piecing!

Everyone has mentioned measureing and making the quilt square but go an extra step. Tell them to "square" each square separately, then square the quilt after each row is attached (press) and then square at the end. Sometimes if one waits until the end to square they lose part of their pattern off the sides of the quilt. Tell them to lay the quilt top out on the floor once they are finished. Does the sashing flutter up and down? Shannon, do you have a picture you could pass around of one of those wavy things that has been posted on here? Print that sucker out and show it.

i don't know about others, but when i'm given specific instructions about exactly how they want the quilt quilted, i tend to tense up and it just never comes out as nice (or satisfying to me) as when they say "you know better than me... just do what you think is best"... i don't know if that's something you want to mention... just a thought that always comes to me when i hear "i want you to just...." at any rate, as mentioned above, ironing as they piece and then one nice ironing before they drop it off... and trimming threads and fabric balls in the seams are big ones... especially when light and dark fabrics are used!

Looks like most everything here has been mentioned. The three main issues I have with my customers are:

1) Borders that have more waves than water park slides.

2) Backing that looks like a V-Neck sweater.

3) Quilt top and Backing shoved into a plastic grocery bag, that end up with more wrinkles than a Shar Pei puppy.

Choosing the right Thread? I like the idea of 4 samples. Maybe the samples can include mulitple Battings and threads too? When I teach folks, I have sample cards of various threads and battings so they can see and feel for themselves.

Keep a positive spin. Limit your use of 'don't'. Use it too many times and folks in the audience may get offended that you are pointing at them. Stick to using Do and Why.

If you would create a video of your presentation, I know I would buy it.

Mary

To prevent the dreaded "glazed over look" you get when dispensing info to a group who may lose interest through the educational parts--be your humorous self.;)

And maybe insert the instructional parts between showing your beautiful quilting. There is no way you will lose their interest if they have eye candy to look at.

Handouts are good too. That way when they are ready to get on your list, they will have something to refer to (which they will have forgotton the details of since the trunk show).

Have a great time--they are in for some fun!

Archived