HELP!!!!!! SCALLOPED EDGES

I was given a quilt that is 110 x 110 that has 3 scalloped edges. I have spent the last several hours trying to load it on the frame but cannot seem roll the borders evenly. The only straight edge is the top. I advised the gal that the scallops would be somewhat of an issue. (Honestly, I had no idea how much!!!) The patchwork in the center seems somewhat straight. I'm sad and don't know what to do!!!:(

I don't really understand what you mean? The top of the quilt does have a straight edge and will be pinned to the takeup leader. There just seems to be so much of the border that it is sagging on both sides of the center. The outer border 17 inches wide at the outside of the scallop and the next border in is 6 inches wide.

Originally posted by longarmlisa

Oh!!! do you mean fold over the scallops on the BOTTOM edge and pin it on the leader and then hopefully when it goes on the take-up leader I have 2 straight edges top and bottom?

Yes, I'm sure that is what Heidi is trying to explain, but one step further she is also suggesting you do the same to the side edges until you get it on and then (not sure how Heidi does it) I stay stitch down the scallops as I come down each side.

I try to ask my customers/friend not to cut the scallops in until I have quilted it...MARK them so I don't quilt out into that area, but don't cut them till we have to....much easier to load.

Originally posted by longarmlisa

Oh!!! do you mean fold over the scallops on the BOTTOM edge and pin it on the leader and then hopefully when it goes on the take-up leader I have 2 straight edges top and bottom?

Yes that is exactly what I meant. you said it had 3 scalloped sides so I assumed that one was straight. I wouldn't fold back the sides to get the straight edge, rather just make sure they are square my measuring out where the furthest edge of the scallop should be and make the rest lay flat. I baste as I go. It isn't so bad when you tink about how to get the eges straight.

Thank you for the advice. Last night I decided to pin everything to the leaders and if the fullness of the sides gets to be an issue, I will unpin the bottom and just float the top. I will also sew down the sides as I go. It appears to be fairly straight at this time.

I like the tip about asking them to mark the scallops but not cut them. :)

Archived