Thread Charges / Centering Tape

I know there have been several threads about charging for thread.

I'm trying to get my Quick Books finished so I can get back to the machine.

For those of you that charge for your thread how do you determine the price? I bought several kinds at Innovations from Superior and they range from $7 to $15. Do you charge a different price for different threads or just pick a ball park figure?

I also purchased a centering tape that is too short, 126". They say that is the only size there is. If this is true, how did you all mount it on the machine?

Any info would help. Thanks

Debbie Zerkel

Debbie,

I have different thread charges in Qbooks based on the threads that I use. For instance, KT is higher then So Fine. I charge by the bobbin and normally use prewounds. I figure out retail cost per yard of my threads and then multiplied that by the number of yards on my bobbin. Then added in the retail cost of the prewound bobbin.

Here is my math:

So Fine Thread 3280 yards and it retails at $16.90 ($.0052 per yard) There are 82 yards on my bobbin so that is $.4225

SuperBob, 82 yards @$.8325 per bobbin. (I do the math based on the price per dozen)

They I add the the cost of the top and bottom thread cost together. (.4225 + .8325 = 1.255)

Since I have to order the thread, pay shipping, use a new needle for every customer quilt and don't charge for partial bobbins used, I actually charge $2.00 per bobbin for So Fine.

I do charge less if I wind the bobbins, because they have less yardage on them when I wind them. My lowest thread charge is $1.50 per bobbin.

Thanks for all the info. That helps with the thread cost.

I'm not sure what to do about the tape measure. They haven't called me back. I also purchased zippers from them that they are suppose to be sending but now I'm a little worried about that too. Guess I should have ordered online. Live and learn.

Thanks everyone

I just stitched velcro to the ends of my centering tape and made them long enough so that I can attach to the velcro on the table.

For thread charges - I don't have a thread charge for basics (I usually use SoFine, BottomLine or Signature). If they want something different I charge a speciality thread charge, $5. If they want different threads I charge a $5 change fee for each change. This includes different bobbin thread. I like to keep it as simple as I can so that I don't have to remember to add it all in. I keep my prices a little higher than some but when you take into consideration all the additional charges that people charge we're all about the same.

Debbie I have had the same trouble with my centering tape so I just have been laying it across the top and marking seams etc with the little tabby things and then I just lay it back on the top matching the middle with every role and lining everything up. it works but it would be nice to just have it there. Heidi thanks for the tip of the velcro.

Bekah, I remember seeing Linda's on her machine when we were at her house for the Moxie meeting but I don't remember it not going all the way across the machine. I also don't remember how she had it attached. Maybe she will be at the Meeting in Oct. I'm hoping I might find something at the Expo today.

I do like Heidi's idea about the velcro. I guess putting it on the leveler bar might be the next best idea.

Thanks

I tried the centering tape but it kept winding up in the quilt as I moved the quilt forward. Gave up and threw it in the drawer. Now I use several pieces of painter's tape cut about 2 inches long and place it on the second bar to mark the outside edge and sashing lines. ( I float my quilts so don't use the 2nd bar.)

I haven't been in business that long - just a year - and I like to keep things simple. I charge $1 per pre-wound bobbin used and 50 cents per bobbin of the ones that I wind (seems like I don't get as much on). I have an IQ and basically do E2E. Since each design chosen can vary, I decided that I would just stick with this pricing method. So far it has worked for me. I am not making a large profit on my thread, but I am not losing any money either.

I charge very much like Angela does.

Superior Threads has some great info about how much of their various thread fits on a bobbin.

I wind my own bobbins using primarily Bottom Line, which has almost 200 yards/bobbin, so I use that, and charge the retail price, which I calculate to be $0.80 per bobbin (200 yards).

For the top, I charge (all are for 200 yards):

So Fine $1

Rainbow $2

King Tut $2.80

Superior also has info on an approximate amount of thread for a quilt based on size and density of thread. I have found this to be very accurate. Examples for light, medium and heavy:

Lap 200 yards, 400 yards, 600 yards

Queen 600 yards, 1000 yards, 1,600 yards

I've never had anyone question or complain about my thread charge, and since I'm buying wholesale and selling at retail, it's nice to make a few extra dollars on each quilt.

Julia

Archived