batik quilt top and backing

I have had only one experience with a quilt in which both the top and bottom were batik. It was not a happy time. There were two issues that I was dealing with and am unsure as to which one ( or combination of) created the problem which was occasionally a thread loop on top. Her backing was pieced batik and her batting choice was a nearly 1/2 inch thick poly (I had never used before) . I have quilted a batik top before with Hobbs 80/20 with no problem at all, but the backing was regular 100% cotton ( not batik). The next quilt I put on ( no adjustment) went great. :o

Originally posted by sewlinzi

It's the batik (esp on the back) ... You may need to go for a 3.5 needle ....and reconsider your thread choice...

There have been a couple of discussions recently about batik top and back. That's my next combination to load, possibly tomorrow. First I was going to use Highlights on top, Bottom Line in the bobbin, but someone mentioned problems with Highlights. Now my plan is to use Rainbows (tell me this will work - Shana said it would so it must! :D ) and Bottom Line in the bobbin. And Linzi, by your recommendation, sounds like I should use a 3.5 needle. Also, planning to use Hobbs 80/20. I'm going to stand by the dove on my machine and pray before, during and after loading and quilting this one! :D

Hi Carmen,

The smaller needle is a great choice for batiks since it leaves a smaller hole in the fabric. Please do a test first with the Rainbows--I find the Rainbows can tend to shred at times in the smaller needle. But it is so pretty stitched out--one of my favorites. Let us know which combo of needle/thread/fabric worked best for you.

Hi,

I have quilted several Batik quilts (top & bottom) with Rainbows (my favourite thread)

& bottom line with no problems at all.

I used a 4.0 needle & 60/40 wool/poly batting.

As far as slowing down, I haven't been able to get up any great speed yet so that hasn't

been an issue for me.

:):):)

Originally posted by sewlinzi

I think the wool bat makes a difference - much smoother than cotton bat.

I agree that sometimes its the battings more than thread that causes trouble. I know some battings have actually cut my threads and it was murder getting the quilt off the frame. The way figured it out was the same needle same thread, but different batting in the next quilt..NOT a problem with thread breakage or skipped stitches...same tension, same needle and same materials in the top and back. Some were all Batiks some just regluar cottons...only difference was battings.

Archived