IQF Houston 2010

Hi

I have been looking at this site over the last 2 years since I received my Millie

in December 2007. It's a fantastic source of information and helpful and

inspiring members.

This is the first time I have posted.

Myself and a friend are planning to come to Houston next year and wondered

if anyone could point us in the right direction regarding suitable and reasonably

priced accommodation in the area convenient for the show. Also how we can

book 4 day tickets directly with the organizers.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

Avis

Avis,

I have a couple of friends that stay out near the Arboretum and drive in to the convention center. Last year I stayed with my sister and commuted from the Woodlands, which is north of Houston. Never again! Houston traffic is worse the DC traffic. I could not believe it how long it took me to get in even using the HOV lanes. I think it is worse then driving in Atlanta during rush hour as well. We wanted to get down there early so we were always go in during rush hour. It was an easy drive going home as we left before rush hour got started. 2-3 hours to drive in and 30-40 minutes to drive home...

This year I am staying at the Doubletree downtown which is on the quilt bus route. I tried to get in the Hilton which is connected to the Convention center but it was booked. Both are really convenient, but I am sure that there are cheaper places that I could be staying.

If you go to www.quilts.com There is information on lodging and transportation for this year's show.

Angela

Hi Avis! Welsome to the forum!

I live in the Houston area. Try to book at the Hilton downtown. It connects directly to the Convention Center. Or go t the quilts.com website and it should give you phones to call them. They can send you a brouchure that will give you all the info you need, including hotels within walking distance, and those with shuttle service. suttles run non-stop the entire time the Market and Festival are going on. it will also give you all the do's and don't to attending. Classes aren't available yet for next year but this should get you one mailed automatically when they come out about June 2010. This years Market starts next week I believe, and the Festival is the next week. I will be there on the 16th at a minimum. I ddin't sign up for classes this year, they haven't restored our hours at work so I'm controlling myself!

I go to the Houston festival every year. I stay at the Hyatt Regency, book early they sell out, (as do all the downtown hotels) There is a shuttle that runs, free, quite often during the whole show. More information available at www.quilts.com. Hobby airport is closer, Bush Intercontental further away. Eating can be had by walking , a little pricy but not bad. The classes fill up really fast sometimes, you need to be able to get the listings and reply right away, but your distance means you would be better off registering on line. With planning, its a doable show, good luck, Pat

Oh, gotta add, get your hotel now or you may not get one, even for a year from now. And when you get your class catalog get your classes chosen and your check in the mail immediately to get the classes you want. Don't wait.

This years Festival starts with preview night 7-10pm on the 14th, then goes through the 17th. Dates are unusual this year. Normally it's end of Oct - first dat or so of Nov.

1200+ quilts, and 1100+ booths for vendors. I love this show, I've been going since '85. I've missed one.

Avis, this is what my friend said.

The four day pass is available by calling the Quilts, Inc. office or by registering for classes when the catalogue comes out early next summer, usually June or July. 713.781.6864

If you register for classes before the cut off date in Sept 2010, you get a show tote bag and a show pin. They usually run out of the showpins before the show is out, so people sometimes get the package deal to be sure to have one.

You can register for the show and only sign up for some of the free events, you don't have to invest in classes unless you want to. At least that's how it's been in the past.

Hotels are hurting around here. I'd think about calling now to see what their rates might be for 2010. They may be making deals.

Micki Rushing or Carol Morrissey would know of the hotels near the GRB conv. ctr. that are more reasonable because they go down for Market with Sandy (micki) or for her own booth (carol). Be sure to check with them. I'd forgotten that when I wrote earlier. They like the place they have been going and feel it is in a safe area (always something to think about in a big city).

Hi Everyone

Thank you all very much for your help. I will be kept

busy ringing round hotels etc. for next year.

I did email you Debbie but for some reason it just

reported back to me failed, error.

You never know if I do get to Houston I might be

fortunate enough to meet some of you there.

Regards

Avis

Archived