Same color thread on top and bobbin?

Just wondering, do most of you use the same color in both top and bobbin? Or do you match the bobbin with the color of the backing fabric? I've been doing some customs where I've had three or four color changes and I'm thinking that the back of the quilt doesn't look as nice as I'd hoped. Maybe I should be sticking to one color on the back.

Jessica

I use just one color in my bobbin that matches the backing and a different color or colors for the top. I spend the extra time playing with my tension so you don't get the top thread poking through to the back or vice versa, i think it is worth the time and effort in the end.

You will get many different answers regarding this, but this is how I dealt with customers.

I left it up to them. If they wanted different color threads in different areas the main color was billed in with the price, but each color change after that was 20.00 per thread change. Now they also were given the choice of top and bobbin being the same or one color back and the thread changes on the top. I would make them sign a release that they were aware that dots of color could show on the top or back with the different colors and that I would not be expected to frog if minimum dots showed.

When you do different colors you take that chance. It doesn't matter how well you have the tension. You may be quilting along and get three or four dots of mixed color and the quilt along for a long ways and have a bit more. That is what I call minimum dots. If its continuous then that is a tension issue and yes then that does require frogging.

Now for my own perasonal quilts I do it both ways all depending on the quilt and what will better or what I need to do to mask it when the quilt goes to a show. Also I have been known to use a monopoly in the bottom and change the top colors as required.

So its what works for you and your customer.

I did a quilt recently that had a black border but off white in the center (applique), I did mcTavishing in the border and used black thread on both the back and top in the border but changed back to off white with the rest of the quilt. The back was muslin. The front looked good, but the back looked a little funky with the black McT on the back in the border only. I discussed this with the customer who understood why I did this (Even with all the tweeking of the tension I could still see little white specks in the black so I expl that my options were: white specks in the border, I could pull the tension tighter on the back which looked good on the front but like railroad tracks on the back to do away with the white showing through, or use black thread on both the front and back. But when all is said and done, this will be hanging on a wall and the front was what mattered...she agreed and loves the front and is ok with the back and we both said that next time, choosing your backing should be a consideration when you have such contrast on the front. Lesson learned....but in the end all were happy!

Originally posted by Primitive1

I did a quilt recently that had a black border but off white in the center (applique), I did mcTavishing in the border and used black thread on both the back and top in the border but changed back to off white with the rest of the quilt. The back was muslin. The front looked good, but the back looked a little funky with the black McT on the back in the border only. I discussed this with the customer who understood why I did this (Even with all the tweeking of the tension I could still see little white specks in the black so I expl that my options were: white specks in the border, I could pull the tension tighter on the back which looked good on the front but like railroad tracks on the back to do away with the white showing through, or use black thread on both the front and back. But when all is said and done, this will be hanging on a wall and the front was what mattered...she agreed and loves the front and is ok with the back and we both said that next time, choosing your backing should be a consideration when you have such contrast on the front. Lesson learned....but in the end all were happy!

When this happens you get out your trusty matching pigma pen and touch each dot...before the customer sees it, and they will NEVER know.....;)

Originally posted by Primitive1

I wish I would have thought of this!!!! However if the white you are seeing is due to the needle hole and batting showing - what then? Any good ideas? I have tried a smaller needle and have probs with it breaking.

If that is the case most generally this will be taken care of when thwe quilt is washed.

Archived