Dimensional Applique

barbm

I want to create a dimensional applique of a fleur-de-lis for the center square of a French Braid quilt I'm planning - any suggestions for making this applique really stand out? How do I do it without puckering the background fabric? Hand applique or machine? I'm comfortable with either one.

I'm also thinking about embellishing the applique - either add couched gold cord or quilt some dimension lines with gold metallic thread - any suggestions?

Have done this type of thing with a large monogram letter. I drew the shape on a template, cut the applique so that as much as possible was on the bias, and turned the edge under with basting. Then traced the shape onto the background with water soluable marker, BUT when I hand sewed the applique down, I made sure to fall inside the drawn lines by about 1/8 inch or so. This made the applique "too big" and before I got to the end of the sewing, I stuffed with poly. Turned out "tall", You would need to see how much your fabric would ease, use small stitches to sew down so the stuffing doesn't poke through.

Sounds like a lot of work, but really went quite fast, the "A" was a hit. Pat

I am doing dimensional butterflies right now. I drew the butterfly on a piece of flusible interfacing, then put the fusible side right side together with the fabric, stitched on the line, leaving an opening for turning. Turned it, then cut the same shape out of a thin bat, Worked it in to the shape with a skewer, fused it to the block and hand appliqued the edges. Reall came out cute. When I quilt it, I will embellish the butterfly a bit with some metallic thread to make it even more dimensional.

My dresden plate was pieced and "lined" with muslin, turned and machine appliqued on to the muslin block. It stands out above the other "flat" blocks. I wonder if you could do that and put a layer of batting (trapunto) in the sandwich? (clear as mud, right?)

It isn't quilted yet, but hope this helps.

post--1346190273807_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Boni

My dresden plate was pieced and "lined" with muslin, turned and machine appliqued on to the muslin block. It stands out above the other "flat" blocks. I wonder if you could do that and put a layer of batting (trapunto) in the sandwich? (clear as mud, right?)

It isn't quilted yet, but hope this helps.

sure you can I would slit a small cut into the back of the Dresden plate and work the batting into the circle....you will have to do some ditch work in the wedges to keep the batting circle from going to one edge when washed, but it will look nice. Then when you get the batting in I would slip stitch the opening and no one will every know you did this as an afterthought.

Be patient, Boni! It's still in the raw fabric stage. Gotta get the appliques done next week, then try to put the braids together at a Quilt Retreat next month, maybe finish the borders (still unplanned) in January. Since this is gonna be a new quilt for my Quilt Show booth next year, and I'm already getting notices for Shows starting as early as March, guess I better get a "move on," huh?:o

March will be here before you know it. I find it difficult to get back to my 30's quilt for so many customer quilts. Bummer. and there's my fall quilt just hanging there looking at me with longing eyes. . .will I ever get to finish them??? It was a lovely summer at least. My free time is used up. Maybe if I'm patient enough, the year will go by and I'll just pick up where I left off this year.

I hope you have better luck. I'll be patient. . .I'm waiting. . .

Archived