OK - Let's talk about Insurance!! Been there, get to do it again.....

PattyJo...yes, I quilt for clients and it is a rider attached to our policy. Our policy is a bit different to begin with though. We have a FarmPak because of our acreage and critters, so we're already covered if some idiot wanders into our pasture and is attacked by our savage beasts (I've only seen them attack when carrots are involved:D) So we just added coverage for the machines and supplies, etc. $90 a year... Good thing, too, since our property insurance is going up due to a bond measure which is going to cost 50% more than anticipated...YIKES!

Hi Vicki (and all!).

The thing that put me over the edge and MADE me get business insurance ASAP was when a customer (elderly) pulled into my driveway, got out of her car using a walker, aided by her elderly hubby using a cane!! I have two little steps up to our door. She came in. I asked if she would like to sit while we went over her quilt. She said yes she would...because she was having hip replacement surgery later that week!!!!!!!!!

You just can't make this up!! I called my insurance company the next morning.

Vickie, maybe we should compare details of our policies privately. I think mine is also for the same dollar amout per incident, plus 80% or so for my 2007 Liberty. They were clear about not covering the value of the customers' property beyond fabric. Apparently there was an issue with a claim about "art" vs. materials costs.

USAA is a great company. I am happy to have them!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NW New Jersey

All I can say about this experience is to talk to several agents. If one agent can't sell you what you need, go to another one and don't let them try and patch something together to get you covered. I also learned that you need to talk to your agent letting them know what you are doing (which I did when I got the first policy), but the agent didn't understand and didn't really ask me any questions, just pretended that they knew what longarming was all about. I'm so glad that I went to a totally new agent who had been in the business for 20+ years and knew all the policies that were available to them. Within 45 min., I had all the insurance that I needed when the other agent spent that much time trying to sell me something that wasn't what I really needed! I now feel "EMPOWERED". "I am Longarmer, Hear Me Roar" :P:P:P

I have insurance through RLI Insurance, and pay approximately $300/year for $20K property (my machine at replacement value) and $500K liability. They specialize in home-based businesses. I am categorized as Embroidery. Most any agent that goes through multiple insurers can get you a policy through RLI.

Julia

Archived