OK - Let's talk about Insurance!! Been there, get to do it again.....

I just found out that the agent that I went through for my homeowners insurance either did not understand or something because my Millie is not covered. I know that I said that I was in business and that the machine needed to be covered as well as the quilts that were in the house waiting to be quilted. I'm thanking the Lord that nothing has happened that I would have needed to place a claim for. But now, I'm going to have to start over again and have been told that I need a full business policy. If any of you feel comfortable telling me, what do you pay for your business insurance policy and who is your carrier.

Sylvia & Dory - is this an addition to your homeowners insurance? And do you do quilts for others? My agent says that he can't add anything to do with business to our homeowners.

Before DH passed away, we went to 2 different appointments and we told them that I had a business and that we needed full replacement coverage for this machine and we took the policy that they said would work. Now I find out it isn't what we thought. I'm really bummed about this. Just very thankful that nothing has happened to my Millie or any of the quilts that I've brought into the house.

Patty,

That is what we were told also. Years ago when I quilted as a second income our agent told us if it was "business" related, we could not put it on our home owners. But, now that I am not in business and just own the machines for self use, their replacement value is included in our home owners in case of fire, theft or water damage. Keep in mind laws vary from state to state and it is a really good idea to pick up the phone and check with your agent.

Thanks for bringing up the topic.

Penny

I went through Nation Wide and I pay under $400. per year. I have a small shop. 1000sq. ft. with steps. This covers people falling and damage to customer quilts and replacement of all my machines. Don't forget to cover your reg. sewing machines if you use them in the business. Most companies think our sewing machines are only a couple hundred dollars so make sure you have your receipts. All of my machines had to be itemized.

I pay $300 a year and use the same company as our homeowners, but it is a different policy. My machine is covered for enough to replace it, my inventory (thread, rulers, batting, etc.) & customer quilts are covered and there is liability coverage if they slip and fall.

I chuckle because my machine is so old, I actually leave it plugged in during thunderstorms and hope for a lightening strike so I can get a new one, LOL!!

Christine Olson has some great thoughts on this topic - as I recall she was an insurance agent in her pre-LA life. I think she has been published in one or more of our LA magazines. I'm at work now, so no access, but you might flip through your back issues and see if you can find her article.

Vicky M.

We may have the same policy! It is seperate from our regualr homeowner's policy.

I also have USAA and they have a small business insurance firm they work with. My coverage is for liability for customers while in my house and for a small amount of business prpoerty. I was concerned about the customers falling...or saying they fell...while here. Apparently, my homeowners does not cover people coming for business. Friends, relatives, etc. yes...but for a business, NO.

It does not cover the value of customers' quilts.

Mine was about $480/year. Worth it for the peace of mind.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NW NJ

I'm beginning to think that Oregon is a MECCA for Insurance guys cause, they seem to have a huge hold on small business owners according to my agent, there is no business insurance is less than $500 a year. That is on top of the $400 per year for homeowners. $900 per year seems like a lot to me. My DH used to do all this and now that I've got my head out of the sand, I'm just trying to be careful with the money that I have (not that I wasn't before, but now I know where every cent is going - YIKES). I think I need to get out and get a 3rd job!:o

I guess I really need to re-look at this. Hubby did the calling for me and we too use USAA. They just added a rider on for my business equipment and it cost about $90 a year. I don't have tons of customers but if they aren't covered on my property that would be a huge liability. Patty Jo I'm with you $400 - $500 seems like a lot when you consider how much you spend on homeowners. I don't understand why somebody wouldn't be covered on your homeowners. I have maybe a customer a week, sometimes 2 and it just seems like a lot to spend that much money. It may be enough for me to re-think this whole business. Less stress on me.

I just got a call from my insurance company because...guess what...the rider hadn't been paid yet. It doesn't go with our regular escrow/mortgage account and I didn't see (more likely didn't pay attention) to the bill. Anyway, we are paying $90 a year. At this point, no customers come to our home, but I do have the LA, customer quilts and all my supplies, plus Dennis has two embroidery machines, a heat press and a screen-printing set up, numerous printers and several computers.

When the yurt is done, I will offer people the option of coming out since I think most would like to see it. My guess is that once they've seen it , they'll go back to meeting me in town to pick up quilts. Its a long, dusty road...:D

Lisa, It does sound like the same policy, although mine may be higher because of where I live? Or maybe the value of what I asked for coverage for. Mine does cover customers quilts though, maybe that is the difference. But I do have several "elderly" customers that I worry about and since they have to come down stairs to my basement, I asked for 1 million in liability for ea incident - just in case....

Insurance for a HOME business with customers is not cheap in Oregon. As my friend who just closed her quilt shop and moved her long Arm home found out. Her business Insurance is now higher in her home than what it was at the shop was..go figure.

Price of Insurance is the main reason I can't afford to do customer quilts part time in my home. The cheapest I've been quoted in Portland is $629 a year.

Good Luck

Terry

Thanks Terry. I've been thinking that I may just have to stop doing quilts for others and just do for myself & for friends and family. Kind of a bummer thinking about that though. I'm going to see another Insurance gal today and will see what she has to say. I don't want to gamble on not having a claim just want to do what I love to do.

OK Patty Jo, I think you are in the same boat as I am. We have Met home insurance and our best route was to add a small business rider on it. It covers customer injury and covers the costs of my machines. I didn't have to have a larger separate policy because I only work part time at home. This won't work for all those out there who quilt full time for others. It did not increase our costs very much at all but I am well covered.

Well, I did go and talk to another agent this morning and I have switched everything over to her. I was able to get business policy to go along with and increase my homeowners coverage. It was $225, but a whole lot better than the $500 that I was quoted. I lost confidence in my previous agent, so because this gal knew her stuff and how it all works together, I went with her. I feel 100% better knowing that my GiGi is covered and so are my other machines, tools, etc that goes with the business. And my agent and one of her staff are both quilters!!! now I may be able to make enough from doing their quilts that I can pay my premiums - or at least part of them. I'm a happy girl:D

Archived