Photos on quilt

I just finished a gift quilt for my aunt who is ill. On the back I appliqued 20 some family photos that I had printed on the pretreated fabrics that you can buy. After seeing the bubble jet thread, I am nervous as to how well this will hold up through laundering. I was going to give her my usually directions - wash on gentlest cycle with cold water and air dry or dry on low in dryer. She has a terminal illness and I want the quilt to be used by her. The whole point of the pictures is for her to have the people whom she has loved and who have loved her covering her. I am wondering if any of you have experience with this fabric and if you have any advice for laundering.

Claire,

We use the fabric sheets in our quilting ministry to put the church label on all quilts going out as long as you followed the instructions on the package - set with dry iron - remove paper - rinse - etc. the pictures should be fine. We use the same washing instructions. Are you using a bubble jet printer? Mine I believe is a laser jet, not sure. If you are worried print another photo on the fabric and wash it with some clothes to see how it does.

Good Luck!

Claire I use the same type fabric sheets in the photo quilts I have made. I used a ink jet printer and if you follow the instructions on the package as Sherry said, they seem to hold up pretty good. Photo quilt I made for my daughter has been washed 4 to 5 times and the photos look the same as when the quilt was first made. She washes it in cold water on gentle cycle with only fabric softner and air drys the quilt.

Claire, I agree with Liam and Q4J. The commerical fabric sheets for ink jet printers are pre-treated and really good quality these days. I use a lot of it on my quilts. However, you must have followed the directions that come with the fabric sheets. Brands differ a little. I tell customers and family to wash the quilt on gentle, cold water and air dry by machine or hanging. Some people prefer to make their own "fabric sheets" out of muslin or some other cotton fabric. That is what the bubble jet treatment is for. You should feel safe with the pics you put on your aunts quilt. If you're still nervous you could make an experimental picture and wash and dry it several times to check for color fastness.

Thanks to all who responded for the reasssurance! I think I did everything suggested - rinsed with cold water, pressed with dry iron. I have never done photos on a quilt before and didn't realize how compulsive you really should be about following directions. I'm one of those who sometimes looks at directions as "suggestions". The quilt is finished and ready to go, but you have made me feel better that all will be ok.

This is the difference I have noticed. The final product of bubble jet is soft. Just like you fabric. That is important to me becasue (heaven forbid I break yet another quilting rule), I stitch through the photos adding texture with different color threads. I have even had to rip out this one photo's stiching three times and you cannot tell. And just to sweeten the deal the cost of making your own sheets is affordable. Minus the ink of course. It holds up extremely well. My daughters hug quilt is 5 years ols and washed in hot water tumble dry (again an issue with those rules). It is is the same as the day I made it.

I will admit this takes a little more effort you have to treat you fabric and iron it on to freezer paper. However I always have the muslin and bubble jet on hand.

Hope this was helpful

Melora

Archived