I Love Being Up Front

Georgene

I am so happy that I can now use all my CL smaller templates from the front of the machine. Just this week (before receiving the Upfront system), I did a quilt using partial feathered wreaths. I used the CL Featherz template from the back, but because the wreaths had to stop midstream (half a wreath), it was not easy to do from the back. I made a LOT of trips from front to back of machine. Good exercise.

I like using the Waves and Zig Zag giant template for crosshatched borders on custom quilts, because it’s easy, very exact, requires no rulers, and I don’t have to turn the quilt. But before the Up Front System I couldn’t do that AND use the smaller templates in the blocks. Now I can do both. Yippee!!!

Stylus arm. I love the stylus arm that Michael provided with the system -- it's extremely lightweight (less weight to move with the machine). And the angle on the arm is wonderful, perfect. I like the two positions for the stylus holder, how I can use one for smaller templates and the other for the longer 18" templates, and how I can raise and lower the stylus so easily.

Beginning stitches. I love that I can rest the stylus into a template slot when doing the first few securing stitches, without having to hold it down. Therefore I have one hand free to hold the threads until I get the first few stitches secured.

Following the lines. I love how I can hold on to the stylus and move the machine just like I could do from the back of the machine....and how I don't necessarily have to hold down the stylus, so I have an extra hand to hold the fabric when necessary on those wonky quilts.

Security. I love how the crossbar locks and holds on the machine.....very secure...no shifting. It’s amazing how well those two wooden and PVC bars work. If there could be one improvement, I thought it might be a solid surface to rest the base plate on. But after using it, it’s more secure than I imagined it could be.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0FLcJJTlHQ

Now I hear that Michael is working on some new templates ......I can hardly wait for the announcement.

UPS just brought my CL front system and it was so easy to attached to the Millie! Just 2 screws and the arm is on and ready to use! The Circle Lord attaches very securely to the poles so I won't have to worry about shifting and stitching in the wrong area. Michael included easy to follow instructions and it took about 2 minutes to get set up. But boo hoo, I don't get to play with it for a while! I'm taking Millie down and she is going on a trip. I'm leaving Saturday and driving to Minnesota and dropping her off in Carrolll at APQS for a little tune up.

Georgene, I know what you are saying about having to move back to front to back to front - I've done that quite a few time when using the templates and look forward to being up front for the ease of use and accuracy.

Georgene sounds like you have your CL mastered. I have the giant zig zag template but have not figured out how to do the crosshatching down the side border. Can you do a short drawing or something to show me how to do it. I also have the 18 inch cross hatch template that might work up front to do the cross hatching down the side??

I am going to order the UpFront system as that sounds wonderful. I have several templates I do not use to often because of traveling back and forth to the back of the machine.

Thanks, Shirley

I load the quilt with the longest side of the border across top and bottom.

I put the zig zag template on back of machine and use it on the border at the top, using all zig zag rows. Wherever it runs down into the side borders (actually the top and bottom of quilt), I stitch there too. Then (before rolling) I move the template (going from slot 1 to 9 or vice verse) and stitch that next (all zig zag rows) before rolling the quilt.

Before rolling, I can work on the middle of the quilt.

When I'm ready to roll, I line the quilt top up with the zig zags and stitch along the sides, using all zig zag rows of the template. Then I slide the template to slot 1 or 9, and stitch all rows again.

I lift stylus and SID along the border seam lines on each of the side borders (actually the top and bottom of the quilt).

I hope this makes sense. I've done this several times and it works nicely. It also works nicely to stitch an entire quilt like this, using all zig zag rows......with template in slot 1 and then in slot 9.

P.S. I find it much easier to use the zig zag template for crosshatching when using every row of the zig zag. If you only use every other row, you have to switch back (slot 1 or 9) before lining up when you roll.

And also, you have to remember to only use every other row, as well as which rows, odd or even, to sew on slot 1 or 9. With using all rows of the zig zag you just stitch every row and keep going, don't have to remember odd, even, etc. And you can line up when rolling no matter which slot (1 or 9) that it's in. It's just easier. I like simple.

You don't HAVE to turn the quilt sideways, it just makes for less SID along the side borders. I have done it the other way too. Some quilts require it.

But the most important thing I forgot to say:

When I'm starting the crosshatching on the first border, I roll the quilt so that one of the zig zag points is right at the border's seam line. That will put both passes (slot 1 & 9) at that same point and eliminates any SID'ing on that border.

When you get to the bottom border, you may not be so lucky, but at least you've eliminated some extra work where you can.

Archived