Need quilting ideas on this huge quilt

This quilt is 112 x 112, the stars blocks are 16 inches and the borders around the star are 2 inches each, so the star block including its borders is 44 inches. There are 28 inches between stars. The blocks are so large, I just don't know what to do as feather motifs or such would just be too big to be pretty. I think separate things in each strip around the star would look goofy. The quilting could easily get way too busy.

post--13461902849264_thumb.jpg

I don't have paint on this computer, but I am thinking that definately something in the stars and then maybe some large feathery type of designs in each large block that separates the stars..I would treat each block surrounded by the red blocks as a block and then maybe tie the same type of feathery designs to the border as both are supported by fabric stripes... maybe one of Claudia's cool penguin feathers? This has lots of possibilities!

I see a circle around the star block and then just line dance it. I see diagonal lines in the red squares. I'm wondering if you could do like a zigzag in the dark part and something different in the gold parts. Maybe if you treat 2 or 3 of the logs as one that would make it easier to decide on something. Piano keys or swirly feather in the outside border. Good luck.

The problem with the feather idea is some of the fronds would be 7 inches long (the center block is 28 inches wide). I think fronds over about 4 inches start looking stretched and not natural looking. If these were normal sized spaces, the feathers would look great. I'm a huge feather person and would love to use them, the space is just so darn large. I thought about curving them but I'm afraid of it starting to get busy looking.

Victoria,

I wonder if you missed one more calculation on your feather sizes? If the star is 16 inches, and the whole block is 44, then 44 minus 16 leaves 28 inches, 28 would be divided into the left and right sides making them 14 inches. If you put two arrangements of feathers in the 14 inch side the area of each feather would be in the range of 7 inches and with the spine in the center it makes the fronds working with a 3 to 4 inch space. Am I off in the way I figured it?

Can you do a spiral feather in those areas?

Archived