Hawaii

Just booked (today) a great seat sale to Hawaii. Unfortunately my new Mille will be arriving while I am gone... to keep me distracted while I am away does anyone have any quilt shops or quilt related areas of interest they can suggest for Waikiki? We will be in Honalulu from Monday November the 23 to the following Monday the 30th. If you are going to suggest that I skip the shops and head straight to the beach you should know that I am not supposed to be in the sun and have to wear SPF 70. So... while hubby relaxes (way past due) I will get my quilt fix with your suggestions being greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

:cool:;)Lisa

Lisa,

I live in Central Oahu - Waikiki is about 30 minutes away. Calico Cat, Kaimuki Dry Goods, Fabric Mart (lots of Hawaiian/Oriental Fabric) are in your area (need to drive). I think there is also a weekly free Hawaiian Quilting Class at Bishop Museum (google it).

You are welcome to come visit me and "play" on my APQS Freedom (bless my mess - lots of dust bunnies) I am hooked on Circle Lord "Toys", if you want a demo.

If you get the chance go to Queen Emma's Summer Palace. The address is 2913 Pali Highway, Honolulu and the phone is 808 329-1877. The beds have quilts on them. It is a peaceful place.

Bishop Museum 808 847-3511 or www.bishopmuseum.org has some beautiful quilts too. Some of the hotels on the beach have display cases with quilts. I was there in 2003. Would like to go back someday.

Charlotte

http://home.fabricmarts.com/e-store/LocalDisplay.html?p_context=HonoluluStore&p_back=-1&sid=0751632411519kX1Nn2ENMNR5bp&p_marker=16&seq=0

I would go to Fabric Mart first, they have a tremendous selection of Hawaiian fabrics. You can easily get there on the bus. Kaimuki Dry goods is also accessible by the bus. (Parking is impossible in Waikiki.)

Janet Mohler

Colorado Springs

yes... oahu has very little in the way of quilt shops (as we know them)... i would say that fabric mart is your best bet... but watch out for the hawn prints...many of them are poly/cotton which is a shame because the prints are wonderful!! there is a small small shop (Kuni fabrics) that I enjoyed visiting... the calico cat has strange hours and are never open when i have the time to go... there are some great quilt shops on the big island and kauai (in case you get the chance to hop over there)... there should be some craft fairs about this time of year... you are going to LOVE the christmas decorations that go up on the streets the day after t'giving... i love christmas in hawaii! have a great time!

Oh, man...lucky you!! A week of warm weather and sunshine--even if you can't sit out in it--is better than the frigid cold!! I have only been on the big island and Maui, so I'm not help for fabric shops. You'll have a great time though and you should definitely go play at Barbara's!!

Have fun!!!!

Barbara,

You are so kind to offer your demo of the Circle Lord!!! I would love to check it out. It is one of many toys that I would love to get (once my Mille is paid for). I fear that after your demo it might be one of the items I put at the top of my list.

I am staying at the Aston Beach hotel in Waikiki from late Monday November the 23 (more like early the 24th!!!) and return back to snow country on Monday November the 30.

If you are serious, let me know what day is best for you.

Take care,

Lisa:D

Archived