thread blobs and thread breaking

meg

hello - im having some minor difficulties and wonder can you give me some things to try.

i am quilting, just small concentrated freehand loop d loops and every once in a while i get a big thread blob on the back and the top thread breaks. this happens maybe once every 20-24 inches. both threads are 35 poly and when they aren't breaking, the tension looks good. i have already rethreaded the top and redone the bobbin.

any suggestions????:o

Sorry you are having trouble Meg. I can't help much other than suggesting you try a different spool of thread since you have rethreaded top and bobbin. I recently had that issue, Superior Threads is replacing a bad spool of Highlights. I was not getting blobs on the back but the top thread was breaking and the tension would be fine then get distorted before breaking the top thread.

Good Luck!!:)

Meg,

Thread blobs can happen when the thread is slipping out of the tension disks on top (be sure the 3-hole guide is aimed between "8:00 and 2:00"), or is otherwise somehow losing its tension momentarily. Be sure to put a small piece of batting into the first thread guide above the spool to help control the thread as it exits the spool.

The same can hold true in the bobbin case. As Linzi suggests, check that no thread lint has built up under the bobbin tension finger on the outside of the bobbin case, that the bobbin is spinning clockwise when you pull the thread tail, and that the "bobbin brake spring" inside the bobbin case still puts pressure on the bobbin to prevent backlash. (You can check that by holding the bobbin case so that the bobbin faces the ceiling. Then tap the bobbin to see if it still has a little "bounce" to it--if it it does, those little fingers inside the case are still doing their job.)

Finally, try a different thread off to the side, just to eliminate that as the troublemaker:).

thanks everyone...i havent been back with lola yet today...been busy with CHristmas prep, but i will try all of your advice tonight. i am also going to get some of that sewers' aid for future problems.

you are all so helpful, i can't say how much i appreciate you taking your time to help me. as i have said before, maybe someday i will know what the devil i'm doing and be able to pay it forward!

:)

Archived