Two top threads simultaneously?

A customer asked me yesterday if I could use two threads through the needle at the same time. I am doing an Asian theme quilt and she wanted gold and black thread threaded through the needle simultaneously. Is this possible? Thanks for your thoughts.

Lisa Potter

Buzzy Bee Quilting

Hey there Lisa! :D

You should be fine using two threads as long as they are not too heavy in weight. (You will know if you have lots of breakage.) Try out your threads on some muslin or off to the side of your quilt.

You might want to try sewfine, bottom line, Rainbows etc.

It was "sew" great to see last week-end at Quilter's Faire, you are doing amazing things & I am so very happy for you!

Hugs to you~;)

Linda

Thanks Linda! It was sew GREAT to see you too! I'm looking forward to my classes this summer & fall in your beautiful studio!

Last question regarding 2 threads at once: I have only one stem to hold my spools. I'm planning to use Bottom Line thread (on cones). Any creative ideas as to how to handle two cones at the same time?

Hi Lisa

Attached is a little diddy I have been working on for awhile. This piece is in process and I am using 2-3 threads through the needle at the same time. This is a black wholecloth with nothing but thread. I bought a double spool holder that takes the place of the single thread holder at the back and use that to either run or store 2 differant theads. The 3rd thread was run through the Hartley vertical spool holder. I purchased the double spool holder from Cranberry Quiltworks in CA. This requires some modification to your original setup but I do like the ability to run the thread from the back if possible.

Basically, if you can think it, you can quilt it!

Your welcome! I wish I had time to get this finished! It is hard to tell just what the heck this thing is so I have attached a close up. This was inspired from a painting that my friend had hanging on her wall from her husbands bacholor days. We have no idea who the artist was but I just had to try to re-create this in thread.

I started this quilt a good year ago hoping to get it in one of the shows but had to put it aside when other things got in the way of my fun! There is no story other then I thought the picture would look good in thread and the fact that at one point I tried to piece this type of circular optical illusion and it came out terrible. Perhaps one day I will finish it post a picture. The piece is about 45 square.

Claudia, how are your new ideas coming along? Do you have anything to share yet?

my ideas are growing and growing and growing;):cool:...but still only in my head!Noooo time!!!:( Buuuuut....I?ve bought some antiques laces out of silk (end of 19th century!) ,some antique handkerchiefs and silk fabrics at a market at the old castle in Krefeld.....all in white, broken white and a colour like tee-dyed! I hope to start sewing the top this summer......I?ll let you know!;)

Have a great time.....

Best wishes from over the ocean...

Claudia

Liza - thanks for bringing this up, I was just thinking about doing this too,

I was wondering what size needle would be best and if others had any

problems doing this.

And Sherry - Thanks for sharing the photo - Great quilting! It is and will be

a show stopper / winning quilt! I am wondering if you have kept track of

your time on this project? It is so nice to just have fun, let loose and play!

Archived