Quilting/Longarm teachers in DC area

I'll be in the DC area in early March with 3 free days & a car while DH teaches. Does anyone know of any Quilting /Longarm teachers offering classes then? Alternatively, any Quilt shops in that area that offer classes? I'm not looking to just shop - already have more fabric than I'll ever use, but would like to put my time to good use and I may not be able to go to MQX this year. Want to avoid quilt withdrawal too since we will be travelling on to Savannah, GA to pick up DD from SCAD & go onto visit family in Florida & get some sun. So will be away from home & the Quilt Studio for 2 weeks.

Since it's snowing again here the 'sun' part sounds very appealing. When we moved here from London I really didn't realize just how long winter lasts in northern New England - November to April in a good year! Yesterday the snow was gone & temps in 40's, today 5" snow & temps heading down below 0F by tomorrow night!

Myrna Ficken is near D.C. I haven't had the opportunity to take classes from her, but I have several of her DVDs and she is a great teacher on them so expect you would get excellent lessons from her and won't be disappointed.

Myrna Ficken

American Professional Quilting Systems

CompuQuilter Dealer

Sale~Service~Educator

Laurel, Maryland

301-725-2057

435-229-2703 cell phone

myrna13@verizon.net: myrnaf@q.com

http://www.aquilterschoice.com

Anne,

I would send Myrna an email, she may have something for you. I live just 50 miles south of DC right off of I-95, maybe we can meet and do something quilt related if you have a free day - there are lots of museums and I hear that Williamsburg has a great quilt collection that I haven't seen yet....

I can email you a list I put together for some folks of area stores. U2U me and I can email you the info.

I have my favorites - Material Girls in La Plata MD (www.materialgirlsquilt.com), Quilt Patch in Fairfax VA (www.quiltpatchva.com)are two I frequent. Jinny Byer has her store in Great Falls VA. Also Web Fabrics (www.webfabrics.net) is in VA. Annapolis has a great quilt store too (Cotton Patch?).

There are more stores. In this area, it all depends on where you will be starting from and how far you can drive. Remember - DC traffic stinks.

Mary

I live in the D.C. area (Bowie Maryland, actually quite close to Myrna) and rent out my machine. So - if you take a class from Myrna and want to practice, you can rent my machine. See my website for rates and times.

I love the Artful Quilter in Virginia - www.artfulquilter.com - it has really cool fabric

Enjoy your visit!

Julia Graves

http://www.soquilts.com

301-860-1376

juliagraves@verizon.net

Archived