Burying the Knots

I will have a lot of starts and stops in a quilt I am about to begin and I want to bury the knots. I haven't done this yet

Can someone help me understand the right way to do this?

Do I simply push the knot in where I lock the stitch? Do I leave a string and thread it thru?

I saw instructions on this somewhere but I can't find them.

I know its proby simple just need a reminder.

Grammie,

First off run to Michaels, Joann's or some place where you can find a doll needle its a regular looking needle, but its about 10 inches long.

I bring up my bottom threads and pull out a length to match from the top and hold them in my left hand and take off I don't do any of the wiggle wiggle that you would regularly do, just start sewing.

When you get to the end of where you are heading....do the same, stop pull up the bottom thread and make an equal length of top thread (at least 12 inches long) cut them from the machine. You will need to do a simple knot in the ending threads, but you do not need to at the starting threads.

Take the threads and thread them on the doll needle and run them under the top materal the length of the needle....give it a tiny tug and it will bring the knots under the top, and at the point that the threads are showing through the material clip...you have done it. The threads won't back out if you have left yourself at least 6-8 inches of thread they stick inside and won't come out.

NOW what happens if you don't have the length to use the doll needle. I use a little device called a knit picker. It looks like a very tiny latch hook. Remember those latch hooks we did rug after rug with in the 70's and 80's looks just like that but VERY tiny. I take the knit picker and put it just under the top quilt fabric and run it so that the latch comes out just next to the thread. Latch the thread over the hook, make sure the latch is closed and pull it back out the way it came in. You will only have a bit of thread pulled under the fabric, but it has always been enough and rarely have I had it come back out, but if I am concerned about it I dab a tiny dab of Fray Check and it stays.

This is a time consuming effort, but it has been something I do on every quilt...I never got into the habit of the wiggle wiggle and have had judges tell me that they had a hard time finding my starts and stops. If you would like pictures I will set some up and get them to you via email...let me know.

I use something called self threading needles. They have a slit in the top, you just pop your tails in there and shoot off between the layers. I only do this on quilts I would show, otherwise I would charge at least .04-.05 per inch depending on design. With lots of stops and starts, it is VERY time consuming.

I won't begin the Quilt until next week but I'm getting my ducks in a row so to speak.

I am so excited about doing this quilt and yet scared to death.

The quilt is 94 x104. I am charging .055 to do it. This is probly low but it is for the local QS and will on display for about one Year so I'm very happy about it. This is the first top since I started that I have taken the Custom approach to this level. It will Micro stippled to death. I am using Hobbs Wool batting, So Fine and bottom line threads matching the top and bottom. I am doing a spiral rays around the center block as Myrna suggested. I am still undecided on what to do in the sashing but something will come to me. I love geometric shapes so something along those lines.

I was considering Catheral Windows as they are about 3 inches wide. I would stipple center and outside paramenter or I will do Diamond Shapes or overlapping circles. Still not sure.

It will probly take me all month to finish it. lololol

Linda,

Its just something that I have done from the VERY first quilt...so its just second nature for me, do a block tie the knots go to the next one. Its time consuming, but worth the effort I think.

And yes, I would diffently do it for a show quit....it makes the starts and stops hard to find and the quiting points go up when judged. But if I had a machine that tied the knots and cut the threads then I might think twice doing it on quilts for myself. :D

Sara,

I'm not very good at sending pictures, but will try...the first one is where I start with the thread tail out to the left. This is a quilt that I am working on so the threads will be a little hard to see...Also don't look at the stitches, I don't have a stitch regular. :P

Bonnie:

forgive me, but I still don't understand. You said:

"You will need to do a simple knot in the ending threads, but you do not need to at the starting threads. "

So you knot and bury the thread at the end of your stitching line, but not at the beginning? If you haven't backtracked at the beginning or taken very small beginning stitches, I would think the stitches at the beginning would start to unravel, no?

THanks for the photos though. Nice quilt!!

Sara

Sara,

I'm sorry I'm confusing you...you have to bury the starting thread just like you do the ending threads, but the threads on the start are always small enough that you don't need to tie them...but at the end I always have a little larger stitches so I need to tie them so they don't come apart. I don't have a stitch regulator on my older ULT II (wish I did, Not there yet). Hope I help with the confusion.

Thanks Barb.

I'm not even sure I will use my CQ with this quilt yet.

I may in the borders and sashings but I haven't decided.

This will be my best paid quilt so far and I want it to be awesome. I'm waiting on some tools, more thread and supplies before I begin.

It's going to probly take me all month to finish it. I plan to micro stipple most of the quilt. This will be my first one to do that. I've been practicing my back out so I'm ready for the stippling part. I don't get too many quilts that really deserve this kind of attention and I'm happy the QS asked me to do it but it is going to challenge me as a beginner for sure. lol

Guest Linda S

I just did a quilt with many stops and starts. I also use the self threading needle. I do NOT lock the stitch at the beginning and end, but pull the thread tails to the top, make a knot about 1/4" from the quilt top, and bury the threads in the quilt sandwhich using the self threading needle. Actually, that needle sits on a Scissor Spot ( magnet that suction cups to the machine) at all times. Here are some pics: I didn't like the quilt, but was satisfied with the quilting.

1312_s_Wallhanging_detail_1small_1.jpg

1312_s_Wallhanging_detail_2small_1.jpg

1312_s_Wallhanging_detail_3small_1.jpg

as you can see, all those little tulips had to be knotted and buried.

Linda

I have been doing lots of Circle Lord Baptist Fans lately and am not completely happy with the knots I am getting on the back of the quilts using the back tack method of starts and stops. Hand tying and hiding the knots seems like a huge time commitment that I am not sure I can make. Is there something in between the back tack and the hand tie methods?

kcquilter,

If you are using the Circle Lord Baptist Fan for a side to side design (or any pantograph) you can just start the quilting off the side of the quilt and then continue the row off the other side. I typically start about an inch from the right side edge (standing at the back of the machine) and then continue quilting until I am about an inch past the other outside edge. I do take a couple of extra stitches right at the quilt edge on both sides to make sure that the quilting stays in place until the binding is sewn on but you don't have to worry about burying your threads when quilting a "row" design like the Baptist Fan. Hope this helps.

Happy Quilting,

Thank you for your reply White Rooster. I don't quite understand though. I am using the oblong arm that attaches to the base of the circle lord like a long paddle with holes in it. I don't think doing one row at a time will work with that method. Am I wrong?????????? I sure do hope I can figure this out. I love the effect of the Baptist Fan.

The baptist fan design that I am referring to is one of Circle Lords' large templates that go the length of the machine table. It would be similar to doing a pantograph (only much easier). With any "row" pattern you can quilt each row by starting off the quilt and then continuing until you have gone the entire width of the quilt and then off again. By starting and stopping outside the quilt borders you don't need to worry about burying threads or tacking it down with little stitches.

When stopping or starting within the body of the quilt, you do need to either bury your threads or take those little stitches. This includes when you are using the Circle Lord tool that you mention above. When a customer wants a pantograph or overall meander I try to do all of my starting and stopping off of the quilt. This saves time since I am charging less for non-custom work. It is just another option. I hope this makes more sense.

Happy Quilting,

Archived