HELP! THERE'S A SPOT ON MY QUILT

Originally posted by Cindy Hodge

Ok..I'm feeling better now. The stain is very faint at this point but I still know it's there. .......... I don't know if my customer will even notice it, but I'm torn with should I or shouldn't I tell her? What would you do?

Hi Cindy. OK in situations like this you have to put yourself in the other person's shoes. Would you want to be told about the spot? Anyway, she will appreciate all the effort you have made to remove it and chances are it will be completely gone when she launders the quilt. So... just be honest and that is always the best thing. She will be more happy that you tried to fix it than if you hid it from her completely. There are way worse things in this world than a tiny and barely noticeable spot on a quilt so put it all into perspective. :) ((hugs))

I'm with Shana, honesty is best. She may never see the spot but she should understand that somethings we have no power over. She should appreciate your honesty and efforts. Remember you know where the spots are/were and because you are a honest caring person, your mind will always see them no matter how faint they are now.

Although I'm a little afraid, and I've gone back and forth about what I should do, I've decided that I'm going to be honest and say that there was a spot on the back that needed some attention before I returned the quilt to her. If I don't have to, I'm not going to go into detail about it or even try to point out the spot to her. (it's hard to find it anyway, fortunately!) I guess that's sort of a happy medium between telling her and not telling her. I'm being honest by telling her but am leaving out the gory details. Afterall, there will always be some imperfection somewhere on a quilt and I don't feel the obligation to point out every spot where I mess up! And like some have said, there are a lot worse things in life. I think I've punished myself enough over this. I still feel horrible that it happened, but I fixed it and I feel pretty good that if you didn't know where it was you may never even see it. It's the knowing part that's eating at me, and I guess I'll have to live with that. You can be darn sure that I will check and double check and triple check that there is no oil anywhere on my table from now on! That's what you call "LIVE & LEARN"!Thank you for all of your help with this learning experience.

Thank you for your kind words! Here's the update...I delivered the quilt and told her that there had been a spot on the back that needed attention before I returned it to her. I didn't elaborate on the "spot" and she didn't ask. She loved the quilt! I think in the end I was harder on myself than anyone else would've been. I guess there's still a slight chance that she might notice where the spot was, but if she says anything at that point I'll explain it more in depth. I know that if it were my quilt and I knew that there was a spot, or remnants of a spot, it would drive me nuts, so really, I'd rather not know. But, if it were my quilt, I could throw the whole thing in the washing machine and that would probably be the end of it. It's just that it wasn't my quilt. I feel good about how it ended up. I thank all of you out there in APQSland for helping me get through this ordeal! Your supportive and kind words helped me to persevere!

Archived