HELP! THERE'S A SPOT ON MY QUILT

I just finished a quilt, took it off the table, turned it over to check out the back and...there are a couple of small spots! It looks like it could be oil?! What do I do???? It doesn't smell like oil and I don't know how oil could've gotten on there, but it's definately something and it doesn't look good. It's a solid gray back. It's a customer's quilt. OMG, how do I fix it???Thanks for your help. I'll try not to panic while I wait for responses. Please someone know what to do!!!

The corn starch should not leave any additional stains. I would place a little over the stain...and then lightly brush it off.

You can test this on a piece of fabric that is NOT the quilt and see how the results work. if you can see where the oil is coming from...get a little on a test piece of fabric and experiment with the cornstarch. Hope this helps!

Thank you everyone for your quick responses. I put corn starch on, waited a little while then brushed it off with a toothbrush, as suggested. then I vacuumed the area. It looks alot better but it's still there, slightly. I'm going to try the dawn dish washing liquid next. I'm a bit nervous about getting it wet, but I'm a lot more nervous about having oil on my customer's quilt. I'll keep you posted...if I survive the stress. :)

after I use the dawn, do I just let it dry on it's own or blow dry it? dab it tonight and wait till tomorrow to see if it worked? If I blow dry it, do I dry it with heat on? wouldn't that set the stain? I'm probably over thinking this whole mess, but this is the first time I've ever had a problem. Of course, Ihaven't had my machine that long either. I imagine this won't be the last problem I have but...if it were my own quilt, I'd be sick about it but not like this. I am feeling better though. and I'll feel a lot better if the dawn does the trick. Obviously, I'm not the first one this has happened to. and you know...misery always loves company. thanks for being here everyone!

I bought this spray from Pam Clark's store, Sew Clean when I was at MQS last May, she uses this a lot when teaching, manufactured by BearThread Designs, their ph.no is(281) 462-0661, I am just a satisfied customer, not a paid endorser.

I love making white background quilts myself and for some reason these stain spots just suddenly appear from nowhere, Sew Clean rescues me all the time.

Corey

If the spot is oil, re-apply the cornstarch and let it sit--overnight is OK. Cornstarch will not stain and it will absorb literally ALL of the oil. Pile it on top of the spot--I use a Q-tip. Vacuuming off is a good idea--or pick up with a slightly damp washcloth. You will be amazed. It is always recommended to start with the least-invasive/most inert method when treating stains. Chemicals of any kind should be a last resort. Good luck and you will be smiling soon!

Cindy hope you are breathing easier today. Yes, most of us have been there and done that before on just about any problem that comes up. Linda R. advice about starting with the least invasive inert method is great advice. Ask me how I know not to try the chemical things first.

sending you a hug this morning.

Well, today is not as great as I thought it would be when I went to bed last night. I used Dawn on it after I used corn starch. When I got up this morning, you could still see the spots. so, I dabbed at it again with warm soapy Dawn water. Left it while I went to work. Came home...can still see the spots. I can't really tell if what I'm seeing is now because I got the area wet or if it's still the oil but...so after it dried again, I put more corn starch on it and that's been there now for a couple of hours. I'll go vacuum it off in a little while and hope for the best. I don't know what else to do. I don't know exactly what I'll tell my customer. Of course I'll have to give her a substantial discount. I hope she'll entrust me with another quilt in the future. Honestly though, now I'm gun shy and am afraid to put anything on the machine. Silly, I know. I'm so dissappointed in myself and this situation. I hope this is the last time anything bad ever happens!

Cindy, bless your heart!

Something tells me that this spot will come out. Try not to worry too much. Have you tried using "shout" or another stain remover? Don't rub too much. If you can let it set it in the solution for a while and then rub lightly with a cloth and then rinse in water.

It will come out. Think positive. :)

Ok..I'm feeling better now. The stain is very faint at this point but I still know it's there. If I move the quilt to orient it differently and then try to find the spot again, I may be hard pressed to find it easily. I don't know if my customer will even notice it, but I'm torn with should I or shouldn't I tell her? What would you do? What if I don't tell her and then she sees it while she's sewing the binding? themnwhat, do I pretend I didn't know it was there? Ugh. And, if I do tell her, what will she say/think? My family thinks it's not noticeable. I'm probably making more of it than I need to but I feel awful about it. This is my first mishap...and hopeully my last! Fortunatley, it's a lot better than it was last night. I really appreciate all the moral support I've received from you guys.

Archived