metro embroidery thread/pictures

I received my metro thread OK and it all looks scrummy. Although I did have tension issues when quilting with it and nothing I could do would correct it both sides. This has put me off using it again.

Could anyone let me know how you ran your tension whilst using this thread? Loose ? tight ?? I tried so many combinations and adjustments top and bottom, and either I could see the bottom thread pulling up slightly, or the top thread pulling through on the back. I tried adjusting the bobbin and the top, but my machine just did not like this thread !! I am a newbie, and put most of the problem down to that, but even so, I was so looking forward to quilting with it, and was disappointed.

If anyone has any tips with tension using this thread, I will try again !!

MTIA.

:)

If you use this shiny thread in the top and the bobbin, do you tie your thread ends? (Not just for this thread, but for any use of slippery threads in the top and the bobbin.)

I am thinking about ordering some, too. I just started using Isacord thread in my Liberty. I just needed to do a bit of tension tweeking and it ran just fine. I have a whole drawer full of that thread for my embroidery machine. I'm really expanding outside of my box. LOL

Yes I prefer the Glide thread too !! it is a better quality product !! I have not had tension issues this badly at all until using Metro. I tried running with it loose, but it didnt respond.

I didnt have any tension problems with rainbow by superior either. Perfect results.

I will persevere ! If I had only bought the one cone, I would not have bought another one though !!

The Gold thread by Glide is also one of my favourites Sandra.

:)

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

I order 25 cones the other day...received them 2 days later...used some of one color today...and am thrilled with this thread! I used it both in the top and bobbin. I love it. It is comparable to the Isacord I was using and is same weight as Rainbows if memory serves me correctly. Tension was no issue. I love this thread! Thank you to whomever told us about this metro thread. Did I say I was pleased?!?! :)

Perhaps I should try it in the bobbin aswell as the top next time? See how my machine likes that combination !!!:)

Originally posted by sandradarlington

If you use this shiny thread in the top and the bobbin, do you tie your thread ends? (Not just for this thread, but for any use of slippery threads in the top and the bobbin.)

I am thinking about ordering some, too. I just started using Isacord thread in my Liberty. I just needed to do a bit of tension tweeking and it ran just fine. I have a whole drawer full of that thread for my embroidery machine. I'm really expanding outside of my box. LOL

Yes I tied and buried the threads.

Originally posted by quiltlover03

Janette I had no tension issues at all and run the top thread like I would Rainbow, loose. Also put a thread net over your cone, halfway up, that helps it from running wild.

Thanks Monika, I will try that too. I had a piece of wadding in my top hook too !! perhaps I will take that out and try a net.

I don't really want to give up on this thread quite yet, as I have quite a colour collection in the basic package.

I ran my top tension loose and the bobbin looser as well. I did not use a thread net and am working on a sample piece right now and still no thread net...tension looks great!

Janette, I tie and bury all thread tails no matter the thread I am using. Please persevere and continue to play with this thread till you are happy with it. It looks great on a quilt and is very affordable.

I usually knot and bury, but just wanted to hear what others were doing....thanks for the answers.

I may need to get a few more cones of Glide. That is really delightful! I only bought red, green and gold, as it was in the end of November and getting near Christmas, so they were the colors I was using the most of.

Does FilTec (Glide) have a booth at MQX?

Lisa, before I jump on the bandwagon I would have to do my usual research. Most people think I am a little nutty when it comes to thread (and anything I use on my machine). I don't do cheap; however, I will do inexpensive.

If I think a product is worth investigating I will try it and check how and where it is manufactured. I will investigate this thread.

I treat my machine and my quilts like I treat my truck. I use the best parts, high octane gas, and quality oil in my truck. I do the same on all of my sewing machines.

Sandra

Sandra...I agree completely! Sewing machines are too important to us to risk it on junk. I figured as our resident (or one of our) thread educators, you might have had some experience with it or the inside scoop! LOL.

If you do happen to give it a shot, please let us know what you think.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

NW NJ

Archived