Oiling question

When you take off that front cover you will see the moving parts that the wicks s l o w e l y lubricate! I only oil like 1 a month. I check every day to see if any oil rubs off on my finger tip. If it appears dry, i'll put some oil on, other than that DONT oil all the time! Ask me how i know that! I took the side cover off, and oil was saturated on the bottom in there. YUCK!

No I have never oiled inside - always drop oils on wicks at the top of the machine and gravity pulls the oil down where you need it.

One caution: don't over-oil because it will pool up at the bottom and drop through along the light fixture and on your quilt top. Before quilting, I always run a scrap batting along the light fixture to catch any potential oil drops from dripping.

It is easy to over-oil the wicks, so just use oil sparingly, not all of the time.

OK one thing you can do to loosen those tight screws is to use a very long screwdriver. You have better leverage with a longer one. I put the screwdriver in there and tap the top of it several times with a hammer to knock the screw a little loose, and then push down hard and turn left. It should work. I got all of mine out except for one I had to get DH to help me because I started to strip it.

Take off the left side cover and there are the mechanical innards of the machine. The wicks direct oil to each component and they should be hanging straight down and actually touching the joints at the top of the stroke. This transfers just enough oil to keep the machine happy. The gravity flow of the top wicks is such that seldom will you ever oil that one side wick--I haven't for years. If you have oil pooling in the bottom, you are over-oiling.

Check carefully around your fly-wheel for captured thread. In the obvious area towards the front, but also behind as well (towards the back). Use a light and a magnifier--your squeak could be hiding there. This probably is the cause of the hard-turning of the wheel and maybe your squeak as well.

Let us know the outcome. Good luck.

Archived