Need some honest advice

I am posting pictures of a quilt I am almost finished with. I have been working on it for ages and I designed and created it to enter into a contest. It was done entirely on the longarm, except for the little quilt in the middle which is hand stitched. The needle is still sticking in that little quilt to give the impression that the quilter will be back to finish it later.

I have beads and crystals to add to the lilies for stamens and pistules. I still need to embroider violets in the grass and add the binding.

The title is "Grandmother's Flower Garden in Grandma's flower bed". The flowers are made out of fabrics I dyed and painted. The grass and the background bushes are commercially printed green fabric.

I mostly like how it turned out, but after it was all done I started criticizing myself (like I always do) and decided I don't know if it's good enough to enter or not. The problem is that the top thread pokies showed up on the white backing. My family thinks it looks fine, but I want the opinions of those of you who have had quilts accepted into contests.

I am posting several pictures. Please email me your honest opinions simplyeggcellent@bellsouth.net

Thanks, Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

Picture: Grandmother's Flower Garden in Grandma's flower bed (designed Jan 2006, completed June 2006 by Teresa Taylor)

What a neat quilt. I love all of the handwork and piecing. Be sure to show us again after it is all completed. You are doing great.

I don't know much about entering into a contest. The back does seem to show some color on the back... I wish I could help... Good Luck... Barb

the top is beautiful!!!! You did a wonderful job. I don't know about entering a show either, I am sure some of the wonderful experienced people on this forum will be able to answer that. I just want you to know that you did great with the designing and piecing. I know that this entails a lot of hours! give yourself a great big pat on the back. All my ideas seem to just stay in my head, at least you have given yours a voice.

Bekah

Of course you should enter the contest! Especially if it is a contest requiring that the quilt was made within a specific time period, and next year it wouldn't be eligible to enter. You probably won't win First Prize, but is that your only goal? I enter my quilts in shows just to show them off and I don't care if they win anything or not. I think they are wonderful and the opinion of others (as in judges) is of no consequence to me, but that's just me.

My biased, professional opinion is that the quilt world deserves to see this most lovely and creative quilt.

Thanks all for your comments. I have been working on sewing the beads to the front, and I have ironed the fabric for the binding. I will take a picture of the finished project. I am still deciding whether to enter or not, but I probably will. I don't care if I win or not, but I would like to get some comments (which will mean getting at least past the first acceptance group).

Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

Hi Teresa

I think its really beautiful, don't worry that some darker thread shows on the back - the back is only a small part of the whole project AND its not that bad!

Next time you could use printed fabric on the back!

I don't know what competition rules would say about this but, if you really don't like the back what about putting a piece of fabric over it and securing it with the binding and sleeve?

Keep doing these wonderful pieces and enjoy yourself.

Sue in Australia

Mine use to do that with those threads showing on the back. But was told to take a sample swatch to the side and loosen up both the top and bobbin tension and start with tightening a little at a time. Was told the threads are to just lay flat on the quilt not to pinch it to tight. Thats what was causing the top thread to pull down to the bottom and showed. Hope this helps on your next one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Your a WINNER in my books Teresa::)

Awsome quilt, who cares if you win or not, get your work out there.

Make sure your name is clear, & that people see that you do great work, think of your business that's the prize you will win. ;)

Who know's, maybe you will get a client or 2 by just entering.

Archived