Yurt roof in progress 3 pics

Hi Linzi

Now I have not tried this myself yet, Deb Levy made a video on MQresources, showing how to do it on the longarm

Basically you load your fabric on to the longarm. If I remember correct she used 4 layers, though you can use more, there was no wadding.

Just rembembered that you can use wadding, but you would need to have an extra backing on top of the wadding as well as below the wadding.

Then she channel quilted 1/2 apart. You need to do the channel quilting on the bias to get the best effect.Then she sliced open the channels in between the rows of stitches to create the chenile. You do not slice through the bottom layer of fabric. Deb used a Clover slash cutter.

Then you use a brush that looked a little like a suede brush to fluff up the chennile.

Washing also help fluff up the chennile.

On the piece that Deb made she loaded the back as normal , but layed the rest of the layers on a 45 degree angle, then she was able to use her horizontal channel locks.

Boy I hope that makes sense.

It looked much easier than my explanation :D

Linzi, it's going to be amazing!!! I was wondering how the different panels were going to look together, but having them hanging together alreadys gives that OMG effect. Your efforts belong in magazines, shows and more. This is diffinately going to be a 1 of a kind piece of art. YURTs will never be the same!!! My panel should be on it's way to you by the end of the week. I have about 3 hours of quilting to finish and then some embellishment and it will be heading to Scotland. I can't tell you how much I love the orange backing fabric you sent.

I'd probably still be a frustrated primary school teacher!

Connie - all of the backing fabric for the wall panels and roof was CHEAP white cotton prepared for dyeing by a mill in Bradford, England. It was all dyed in the hot wash in the washing machine with CHEAP Hungarian powder dye and household salt! They are great colours and I have been asked to be the UK supplier. I have used 40 or 50 different colours and it was so easy, no mess - great fun!

Archived