How do you hang a large quilt for display/photographing?

Kristina,

Check out ebay for "photographer's stands"... I think they are around $89-100. Most of them have bags to carry the quilt in... you can either make a "sleeve" or use clips to hang the quilt... also they have telescoping legs and poles to raise the quilt... I do think the widest might be 90".

I had borrowed one to hang my yellow (blue ribbon) quilt and photographed it as well as displayed it for a show.

I have a photograper's stand but you do have to collapse it carefully - the poles are not sturdy enough for any rough handling by helpful people who don't follow your instructions. I like to photograph quilts outside but I have trouble with the stands blowing over once the quilt billows about like a sail in the breeze!

Kristina, I agree with Linzi. I "borrowed" a friend's quilt stand to photograph my mom and dad's 50th anniversary quilt last summer and the dreaded Kansas wind was not nice. It ended up blowing over and bending one of the shafts at the top (still usable but not as pretty). So I ordered a new one to replace the borrowed one and this is the link: http://www.adorama.com/BMSSPSP.html

The photographer's stand is the best way I've found to hang the larger quilts (I have a clothesline I use for the smaller quilts). My husband also built a wire I have to use a ladder to get up on to hang quilts (up to California King size) on the side of the garage, but since I got the photographer's stand, I prefer the photographer's stand. :)

Here's a king size on the wire (we were so proud of our invention at the time). :D We've come a long way, baby!

post--13461903718306_thumb.jpg

Archived