Wildflowers Quilt

I have a wildflowers quilt to quilt--its embroidery applique--done in batiks, very pretty. I'm just not sure how to handle those blocks with the embroidery applique. I saw a quilt at a show this weekend that had machine embroidered flowers in blocks. The quilting was a meander which didn't get close to the flowers--and they puffed out--and the blocks were quilted so that the areas around the embroidery were all different--not quilted. The area around the embroidery/applique on the quilt I have is fairly small. Suggestions? Thanks! Jane

Jane, that sounds so pretty... I'm wondering if somehow you could post of a block or two, which gives us a real good idea of what you mean.. or what you are working with.

From my thinking.. not a good thing to do now, I think I would outline 1/4" away from the emb/appliq part and do a fairly small stipple or meandering in that small area.. or very small McTavishing.. like a bunch of bananas, with only 3 or 4 bananas.. might be hard for the area.. That's all I can think of right now.. no, maybe you do peas or pebbles in the background.. I think that would work well, you can size them to suit the area.. you wouldn't want say 4 big peas, rather use 8-9 or so.. depending on size of area and peas.

Ritar

Jane,

Sounds like you have a beautiful quilt to work on. I would use your favorite brand of clear thread to SID around that applique. That will give the flowers definition. Then do whatever background you prefer. McTavishing looks beautiful on a quilt like you are describing, keeping it consistant on the quilt. You can do a different background in each block, that is entirely up to you. I like consistancey....but I am a traditionalist too. I'm sure a lot of other people will give you really great advice.

Archived