VIVIANMABLE

mrsbishwit

Was going to post this in the QZ forum, but decided it would be in bad taste to do so on their turf so I am posting it over in the CL forum instead.

Linda,

You can use the CL on the front of your Millie. Michael recently (within the past year or so designed a front model for the basic unit).

And the pic of the cardboard under the base plate was just a temporary solution until something else was thought of. I use a piece of plexiglass if you go to my CL Blog (the link below my name) and click on the "Tricks & Tweaks" you will see 3 different ways you can set up the front unit. I choose to use the plexi glass that I purchased at the Home Depot for $20.00 and the best part is that when I am not using it with the CL I can use it as a pattern port for block designs using my laser light from the front. Pattern Ports usually run about $60.00-$75.00.

Also the CL templates that are used on the Basic unit have a stepping design that uses the stepping pin on the CL basic unit, the only way that the CL templates could be used on another unit is if they too have that stepping pin other wise the template would not work properly. Not sure if the QZ has that or not, you might want to investigate that if you wanted to use CL templates on the QZ.

Also the CL Basic Plus (which includes the spiro thingy, fan blade, squircles, stepping disc etc...) only cost $499.00 compared to the QZ which is going for $700.00, just think of all the extra templates you can buy with the $200 difference.

For a really inexpensive alternative to the plexiglas, you can use a "for sale" sign made from the corrigated plastic. You can get it a home imporvement store. They fit perfectly across your rails, are light weight, and you can trim them to fit around your "feet" on the CL base so you can get your template closed to the base if needed.

Thanks for all the great information. NOW I am REALLY confused. I haven't received the DVD about Circle Lord yet, but did get the one from QZ. Will watch them both and compare more.

With the Circle Lord...........do you still get the set up to use from the back as well as the front use set up? Or do you get one or the other?

Thanks again!

Linda,

You need to check with Michael if the basic plus unit for the Millie is the same size for the front as it is for the back if it is then to use it on the front you just need the stylus arm for the front and if you want to use it on the back you just use the back stylus that you would use if you bought the big boards.

IMHO if you choose the CL than you should get the up front set up (so you can do the stepping discs, cirrcles, spiro thingy, & tile templates from the front) and then ask Michael to send you a stylus for the back of the machine so you will be able to do the big boards (like the swirls, 7 treasures, square dance, zig zag etc...).

I know you were concerned about the stability of the CL Base when it was set up for the front. If you go to my blog

at http://geckoquiltscirclelordscrapbook.blogspot.com/

and click on the "tricks & tweaks" link on the left side of the blog it will show you 3 pics of different ways to stabalize the CL when it is on the front of your machine. I have been using the pic #2 the plexiglass. I got it at home depot and it was already precut and it was under $20. I could also use the plexiglass as a pattern port (which normally cost up to $75) you use pattern ports across the front rails to tape down a design, portion of a panto, or drawing and then using your laser light from the front of the machine to trace the line of the pattern. The plexiglass has no sagging (if you get the size I listed on the blog) and it looks alot nicer than the cardboard ;)

If you are going to MQX this year Michael and Kay will have a booth there and you can see it in person, I don't know if the QZ (Linda & Adam) are going to be there.

These tools are alot like purchasing your machine was, they each have there good points, they basically do the same thing, but when it comes down to it needs to fit you.

Here are a few questions you should ask yourself to help you decided which product is best for you...

1)Cost, what is your budget, which one will give you the most for your budget.

2)Can the product grow with you as your skill grows?

3)Which product has more of the designs you like?

4)Which product is easier to use right out of the box, with as little of the reading of the manual as possible (if you are like most the huge manuals can be intimidating and you will let it sit instead of using the product)

5)Which product has better customer service?

6)Which product has more how to help type videos/info on the web?

All of this will help you utilize your long arm tool to it's fullest, after all after investing so much $ in it, it would be a shame if it rarely got used.

Also look at the quilts that the CL users as well as the QZ users have done...which ones inspire you more?

It's a good thing you have a few months to ponder this purchase, when you finally do make up your mind you will know it was the right decission for you.

If you have any other ?? about either product just ask, the QZ users will be happy to answer theirs and the CL users are always willing to answer the ones for us.:)

Mary Beth the CL basic for the Liberty models don't fit both sides, either one or the other because the table depth is larger than the depth between the 2 rails on the front of the mid arm machines. My CL up front set up fits/spans 18" my back set up before fit/spanned 24". Linda has a Millie so if your set can be used front and back so will hers.

Mary Beth no need to back out of the conversation, you silly girl:D:D:D

You're right she does have a Millie, your info is what she asked for pertaining herself.

I was just putting out there that the mid arm machines like the Liberty (mine) can not be used interchangeable like the bigger machines can, just in case a liberty or lenni owner is reading this and taking notes.

Besides you being a Millie owner you could advise Linda better than I about the details of the Millie set up.

"scoot, scoot" this is me stepping aside to give the full floor to the CL consultant "Mary Beth" :D:D:):)

Thanks for all the great information. I will keep looking, comparing, etc. It will be a while before I am ready to buy anything and who knows what will change in a few months. I'll take my time and get to know Milli and play with her a lot more and then by Fall when winter is looming over us again, I will be ready to buy something and happily be snowed in for days at a time !

Thanks again!

Archived