A Big Thank You on Sven's Behalf!

Hi Kristina...so glad to hear that Sven is doing better. May he have more and more good days. My GD was diagnosed when she was five...yesterday was her 15th birthday. She started doing her own shots early on with her parent's help. She's a take charge girl. You are probably getting advice from all directions, so I would like to add my two cents worth. My daughter finds the information in a book Glycemic Load Diet by Rob Thompson, M.D. to help with my GD food choices. My daughter likes this book so much, she's dropping high glycemic foods from her diet. This book is not a "diet book;" it's more about food choices. May we find a cure soon for diabetes. I get emails from whatsnew@lists.childrenwithdiabetes.com . The children with diabetes website also has a quilt program you might investigate.

Good luck with this new challenge...I believe that God gives us no more than we can handle.

sms

4 hour drive for me...but everywhere from Ely is a 4 hour drive except you Lisa! :D

I so need the diversion from everything the past couple of weeks. I even got back on Frogger yesterday after nearly 3 weeks! It all quickly came back to me. My feathers might even look better...at least I keep telling myself that!

LOL, you're right, Kristina! And all the way to Sandy is really more like 3 1/2 hours for me.

What day are you going to the show? I am taking a wholecloth design class from Karen McT on Friday, but will be around other than that. Looking forward to meeting up with you!

We are all just so relieved he is home and getting back to "his new normal." As a parent, the worst possible thing in the world is to recieve news that there is something wrong with our child. So, we all connected with you immediately!!! Please tell Sven that we still think of him each day and know he will be just the best kid in the world and do all the things he wants to do in life. He will just check his sugar and keep an eye on his health. Good luck to you and your family as you adjust!!

Kristina,

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 21. It took them a while because of her age and the fact that it is unusual for type 1 to strike someone in that age group. She was also angry. She was in college and turning 21 and could drink legally now and would go out for pizza with her friends and was being told that all of that had to be curtailed. She adjusted very well and now very unabashedly will give herself an injection no matter who is there. One time, my husband suggested that she go in another room to inject the insulin and her response was "I have to be inconvenienced for the rest of my life, the rest of you can put up with a moment of being uncomfortable!" I was proud of her at that moment. She has enough confidence in herself to not be intimidated or ashamed of her medical issues. She has graduaded from college and is teaching school in Korea now. My best to Sven, I know he will be fine.

Well, we tried the pen insulin yesterday...he hated it. Didn't like how it worked...too hard to push the button to inject the insulin. A minor setback I hope. He prefers to stick with the syringe. Today we are going to try again...but he is not a happy camper thinking about that!

We woke up this morning and figured his own carb intake and dosed his own insulin. (yes, I double checked!). He did everything but inject himself. He is doing okay!

Side note...he even got all of his baseball equipment out of the shed yesterday and started practicing. Last week he said NO WAY to baseball...now he is cleaning his mitt! God is so good! We prayed that he would decide to get back into it. :)

Hi Kristina.

There are several types of pens on the market. See if they can give him different samples to try. He might find one that he does like. They are very convenient and remember the pump is always an option down the road. It's as close to a 'natural' pancreas as we can get right now.

I am soooo glad he's practicing baseball again! Sounds like he has a can do spirit and that will definitely carry him a long way during his walk in life.

He'll have his carb ratio memorized before too long! My Dan had his down long before I did.

Take care.

Sven sounds like he's doing great. It's not that hard to carry around some syringes till he wants to use a pen, if ever. I think your area can get rather warm and a company called FRIO makes a pouch that has an insert that activates with water and keeps things at an acceptable temp. I know that once you open the insulin it's good for 28 days but I just wanted to throw out another idea. Injecting in the abdomen (if he's not already using that area) is easy to do without needing to adjust much clothing. All through school I wouldn't try it and years later I did and found how much easier it was. With the newer, faster insulins you can just inject sitting at a table without people really noticing once you're more comfortable. Please tell Sven "Way to Go". There's lots of Prof sports figures with Type I.

Prayers for the little man who is going to be a good teacher to many around him.

My neice is 14 and she was diagnosed with Type 1 just before her granddad was. So the two of them in the house counting carbs is driving my mom crazy. (Neice lives with the grandparents. A story for another time.)

She is still very active and the friends also take care to be certain to have sugar free candies and treats for her. In fact, one friend brings her special soft drinks to Sunday school for her. I am sure Sven will do just fine.

What a neat idea to make bigger quilts for the "older" kids beds in the hospital.

Archived