A Big Thank You on Sven's Behalf!

For all the prayers and concerns and letters and cards and...the list just goes on....a Big THANK YOU to everyone.

I knew I had a couple of concerned friends...but an entire community...well that was almost overwhelming. :)

Sven continues everyday to do well. He is a bit angry right now..which is to be expected. He goes back to school on Monday and that will be difficult he thinks. He is a little nervous. He doesn't want to be different from his siblings...and with only 4-5 other kids on this area affected by Type 1 Diabetes...he feels alone!

His best friend already asked if he could catch it! Sven quickly said NO...and explained what Diabetes is...and his friend gave him a hug...and then asked to stay the day and night because he missed his buddy so much.

I have finally gotten back to piecing/quilting and even Sven wants to make some quilts to donate to the hospital in SLC. He said the quilts they put on the beds were too small and made for babies...not big kids like him! He is a young man with a mission at the moment! This Momma is very proud of her son!

Thanks again for all the support...you guys/gals are truly the Greatest! ;)

Kristina,

I am so glad that Sven is doing well. Of corse there will be an adjustment period and huge learning curve (which you are already immersed in) but he and the family seem to be making great strides. I couldn't be happier for all of you.

Please take care of yourself as well as Sven.:)

Lisa:)

Kristina I am glad to hear that Sven is doing so well. I can understand him feeling angry, he is going through such a big life change at a very young age. But he will come through as he has a great supporting and loving family behind him to help him all the way !!!!

Kristina, I'm tickled silly that all the prayers, happy thoughts, etc. helped so well...

Sven will overcome, I'm betting, just knowing you on here, we can tell you have one terrific batch of kids, and it sounds like Sven has one good buddy, too.. more will come to his side, as he explains to them and they find out it's not going to come out as a huge wart on his nose, and they can't catch it..

God Bless, and prayers continue..

RitaR

sounds like sven & his siblings were chosen to teach those in your area about diabetes. this is a big responsibility for such a samll boy. but after reading your blog, it looks like he wont disappoint. i will continue to keep you and your family in my best thoughts and prayers.

Kristina, glad to see things are better with Sevn, he has the right to be angry. I was just dignosed with diabetes and know how he feels. Mine was my own stupidity, I was warned about count going up and choose to ignore it. Well I'll pay the price the rest of my life. So i do understand his anger.

I am so glad to hear that Sven is doing so well. If he is like my son was at that point, he will be on a strict schedule in regards to what time he has his snacks due to his shots. Be sure that you make the teacher aware of the schedule and the seriousness of that. My diabetic son had a teacher withhold his snack to punish him. It took a while to get through to her that she just couldn't do that. It sounds like you have a great resource in the school nurse, so once you get the teacher educated and onboard, things should go smoothly.

kp

Kristina,

So glad to hear life is returning to normal for all of you. It might be a new normal but I'm sure that Sven will adapt and adjust and in no time he won't feel like he is different than anybody else. I so know how he feels and how you feel as a mom. My daughter started having seizures in 6th grade and the last thing she wanted was for anybody to know she was "different." She would not tell anybody what was wrong and was very upset with me because I had to tell her teachers. I told her that they had to know but wouldn't share unless she chose to share it. That worked out fine. It is great to see that he now has a quilting mission!

God is so good. You should be proud of Sven, I'm glad things are going well, even in the learning process.

I am also proud of him for choosing to help others with the quilts for the hospital. He makes a good point. When we think to make quilts for young people we usually don't think to make them for the growth factor. Show us what quilts he designs and makes.

Kristina,

I'm so glad to hear that your son is doing so good. I can appreciate his being angry at the extreme life change he had to and is still going through. I'm not sure where you are located but check with his endo doc and see if there is a summer camp for kids with diabetes. When my brother in law was young he was diagnosed and went to camp needle point and it did wonders for him. Before he went to camp took his mother and brother to hold him down for injections, after camp he was a pro and doing everything himself.

My son has a heart condition and felt like your son, the only one in the area with the problem, I found a great camp for him and it has done wonders.

Keep up the great work and the great quilting too.

Karie

Hi Kristina, I'm so very happy to hear Sven is doing so well and your family is adjusting to the new normal, as someone said ahead of me. I think that's absolutely wonderful for Sven to have an outlet for his feelings, and I know quilting will do that for him. I too have heard of the wonderful camps for kids with diabetes. Our ladies group sponsored a young neighbour of mine a few years ago, and he was absolutely thrilled with camp and did learn so much as well as making so many new friends who shared the same condition. It was a real eye opener for him. I think of you all often and send my prayers every day. Take care. :)

Kristina,

Sven's nerves will settle down after he gets back to school and gets back into a routine, after all the last time he was at school is when the crisis came to a head, so once he face going back there and realize that he will be fine, he will adapt to his new life.

What a great young man to want to give back to the hospital that helped make him better. :)

Hi, Kristina,

It is wonderful that Sven is doing well. It is a big adjustment, but it sure sounds like he has the right attitude, even though he is a little angry right now. That is perfectly normal. Soon it will be no big deal, just a part of his life. My nephew has had type 1 diabetes since he was 3 years old. He is 9 now and if you didn't know about it, you couldn't guess. Kids have a wonderful way of adjusting to things!

Take care of yourself during this time, too. Lots of prayers and good thoughts for you and your family! I hope to see you at HMQS!

Archived