George(ous) arrived!

momzilla

OMG...I'm in heaven; georgeous arrived yesterday, and I got it set up, and started quilting......What a dream.....and I was so very surprised that I could work it so very well so very quickly. But then........ I tried to wind my own bobbin and use a different thread in the bobbin...and suddenly broken! then I tried a different thread on the top.......broken. HMMMMMMM........so I can see what my learning curve is going to be: tension. But, to tell the truth, I was expecting this, so not too upset, and really cannot wait until we are better friends and can cooperate with each other, and have many happy journeys together.

I'll keep you posted......Lisel:P

Great for you. Have fun with your George. I was having therapy with my George last night and am ready for another session today. don't let the tension thing scare you, it does work to mess with it in large twists of the knob.

We will be looking for some pictures soon. I figure that all the pieces I do are practice ones. They are still the final product that I give as gifts or charity, but each one gets me that much better in some area (if only in the mental frame of the day, even!).

Congrats, Lisel, on the arrival of your George.

I had tons of issues with tension when I first began working on mine. Two things really helped me:

We have been taught not to adjust the bobbin tension on our domestic machines. You must ignore this advice and get comfortable adjusting George's tension top AND bobbin. And on the top tension, instead of tiny increments like on your domestic machine, you can try half turns...it's MUCH less sensitive.

Also, some threads just sew easier for a newbie. Make it easy on yourself while you are feeling out the machine. At first, I couldn't make cotton threads run on George...always breaking and so frustrating! I bought some Sew Fine by Superior...it's a polyester thread (stronger) but has a matte finish so it gives a cotton look. George loves it. I put in my hours practicing with Sew Fine and now can use just about any thread: thick or thin, poly, cotton, rayon or silk. And remember that you can vent here, or ask for help...we're here to encourage you!

Nancy in Tucson

Archived