I need a 'pick-me-up'

Hello friends, I'm getting to know you by reading your posts, but you're not getting to know me. So I figure it's time to put myself out there. Unfortunately, I'm going through a dark time and am seeking some encouraging words.

I've been a LA quilter for about 6 years now. I've owned 2 Noltings but I'm in between machines right now and am going to start a search for the perfect machine for me. I'm thinking of getting a computerized machine that, of course, can be shifted back to manual mode. I've heard Nolting has just released a computerized machine that is a good $10,000 below the Statler Stitcher...has anyone heard any thing? Does the Milli have a computerized system?

You may be asking how I've owned 2 machines...I purchased a Nolting 18" from an aquaintance that was upgrading. I built a wonderful clientel but needed to sell the machine to start a consignment fabric shop ~in my home~. I closed the shop on Mondays to go rent a LA to work on my customer's quilts. It was the perfect set up and I loved it. When my husband told me it was time to sell the house, I knew it was time to move the business to a retail space. I had gone from $400 gross receipts to $2400 gross receipts per month in just over a year and I was busting at the seams. I figured the only way to make it work was to buy a LA so I could use it 5 days a week instead of just one. I knew that if I was working on a LA 5 days a week, I wouldn't have time to take care of my fabric customers...so I advertised for a partner....I could have purchased the LA on my own and hired help...why oh why didn't I do that?! I purchased a 24" Nolting on a 14' table. It was the one I rented all the time so we were good friends already;)

I took on a 'friend' and customer as a 25% partner...but the ink wasn't dry on the contract before she started making changes...buying NEW fabric (we were a CONSIGNMENT fabric store) and insisting that we put all our proceeds into new fabric, and not paying ourselves. She changed banks and told me if I wanted to make money I would have to get myself another job! She finally changed the locks on the door saying she was afraid if I was there when she wasn't that I would steal or damage the machine! The police said it was a civil matter and I would need a lawyer. I was sooo distraught that I went 'over the edge'. A friend told me that it was like unto her divorce. It's been 6 months since I've even darkened the door. I have now procured a lawyer and all the papers were started yesterday. I tried for 6 months to get her to go to arbitration (she offered me $1000 to 'get out of the way'.) I had over $13,000 invested when this all started. She's insane! I don't want to tell anyone where this is cuz it 's a small town and it's ugly enough already. I had a friend call the shop (she had moved it to a new location....2 doors down from MY HOME...around on retail space) to find out where the LA is. She said it is in her garage because she doesn't want to use up space in the new shop. The consignment fabric is all gone...why didn't she just start her own fabric store? I'm praying that I can get the LA, at least, out of the deal and start my business all over again. Never again will I take on a partner...NEVER!!! I'm back to quilting at the rental place again and my friends and customers are all encouraging me to start up my consignment fabrics again. My friend that called yesterday over to the shop asked the partner if I still did quilting and was I any good (pretending NOT to know me). The partner said, "I don't know if she is doing it or not, but you'd better hope you get her on a 'good day' or you'll be sorry!" That hurt, but my work speaks for itself, so I'm not concerned. I've got to quit letting her spiteful and hateful words hurt me, consider the source and move on. Her lawyer should get my 1st round of paperwork today...let the games begin!

Wow, what a bummer. I know you are hurt, but (as someone wise told me just last night) your work will speak for itself and she won't be able to do it all by herself. Good luck gettting your machine. Do you have a receipt showing that you purchased it yourself? If so it would seem like she is breaking the law by holding your property.

P.S. Where do you live? Just curious.

KnotKnut,

What a sad story,

You will come out in the end. Hold your head up girl, what goes around comes around. You never know what a"friend" will do when it or coworker will do! Keep you paper work in order. THis is very stressful I'm sure.

Tammie you are so cute. Keep them boots on

Tereas, You work will speak for itself, .

Myrna

KnotKnut,

Having grown up in a small town I know that there are probably all kinds of "stories" going on. but you know what, you sound like a woman of integrity and I am sure that your friends will stand behind you and this other person will end up looking pretty aweful when this is all done. having worked as a paralegal for almost 20 years I know that court actions are a pain. Just hang tough.

We are all pulling for you.

Bekah

Be sure to give any drafts of the proposed contract to your lawyer. . . especially any versions that your would-be 25% partner marked up or revised. It goes to the intent of the parties at the time of the agreement. If your a co-signer on anything with her cancel it immediately -- bank accounts, loans, equipment rental. You don't want to be responsible for anything she has in her possession. Ya might talk to your lawyer about coming up with a letter to contact your pre-existing customers and let them know the partnership has dissolved. The correspondence needs to be neutral so it can't be construde that you talked negatively about her or her actions. It's best to get unbiased help (like your lawyer) in drafting a letter. Get your financial records together to come up with a reasonable "buy out" figure. That's what your lawyer is going to need to prove damages. It seems a few letters and a mediation should get this ironed out without pursuing litigation. Since it was consignment fabric shop the defensive argument is going to be that your stuff was junk and not worth anything...i.e. depreciation, fair market value is zero. . . If you have purchase receipts for the fabrics and sales documentation showing your income from the consignments that will help with valuation of the converted property. If you have a purchase receipt for the machine or a cancelled check that should short-circuit the issue of ownership of the machine.

Keep your chin up. When one door closes . . .

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I don't know why I felt the need to blurt it all out into the 'cosmos', but there it is! I went to a counselor today who told me that I am now starting to tell the story and it will be a healing process. She said the more I tell it, the less and less important it will sound.

Mari-Lee...the documents are all at the lawyer and he has done all those things you mentioned. The lawyer stated that her biggest fault was the faulty IRS forms that she filed. The CPA is on the block as well. Too bad they got sucked in.

In the past week, I've gotten at least 8 people tell me that it's time to start the business all over again...one of them was my husband (by the way, the house still has not sold...almost a year). So, tomorrow we reassemble the arch at the beginning of the path that leads to the garden gate and I will get the room ready for business. Maybe 5-6 weeks and I'll be hanging out my shingle.

God Bless Zoloft! I just got some today and I've been told I'll be back to my old self in no time!

I'll keep you all posted, thanks again!:)

It sounds like you are well on your way to controling the situation rather than the situation controling you. Wouldn't you pay money to see her face when she opens the letter from the lawyer? I would. What can I say? Some days my evil twin is the dominent force in my life. :P

By all means start your business again. You had great success the first time, I'm willing to bet you will be just as successfully again. After all, you did it once and people are now asking you do please offer consignment fabrics again. How can you go wrong?

As for telling the "cosmos"? That's what women do. We share. And by sharing we start to feel better. Here's hoping bad karma comes to visit your former partner. We can only hope.

Gail

Wow Knotknut: :(

I have tears in my eyes, I think when you said "Zoloft" that really got me.

You should go on OPRAH and tell your story, it's so sad & hard to believe that there are people out there who would take advantage of a good soul like that.

Girl you just have to show her & everyone else that you may have knocked down but your not out of the game, get that new business going, no matter what happens in court.

Get yourself a new machine & quilt your stress away, do beautiful work, that will heal your pain.

If you did it once then you can do it better the next time, we're all rooting for you .

Kept us posted, & BTW I, have never heard of a fabric consignment store, what a great idea, very smart , I may have to try that in my home town. :D

Gerry, thank you for the kind words...and ALL OF YOU! I have to laugh Gerry...with my partner, the story would be better suited for Jerry Springer! LOL:D

The day before yesterday we received a box of fabric on our doorstep...unsigned for. I figure the UPS guy remembered that the fabric store had been here and didn't realize that they had moved around the corner. I wanted to keep it!!!! It was 4 bolts of some REALLY COOL fabric from Loralie (I think that was the name). I thought..."$300 worth of fabric...not a bad deposit on $13,000!" My husband gave me the 'look' and asked me if I really thought that was the 'right thing to do'. "Of course not! But is what she did to me the 'right thing'?" I knew I couldn't take the fabric over to them so he did it the next day. He just opened the door and set it on a stack of 50% off stuff by the door. He said nothing...just walked out but heard a syrupy sweet voice say, "Thank you". At least it wasn't a sarcastic voice. I'm sure she hadn't received the lawyer papers yet, or that voice may have sounded different!

KnokKnut & her D.H.

I'm not sure I would have been able to do the right thing, like you's two did. I may have sent it back to the shipping co. or just had it shipped back to where ever it came from, but my heart would have wanted to keep it too.

See you are a good soul, much better than me. ;)

I don't know Gerry. I can see you taking the high road if the package was delivered to you. You migt have thought about another action (I would have had a ton on ideas on it) but from what I can tell about you from your posts, I think you would have gotten to her also.

Someimes, you are much farther ahead by being the bigger person. Hard, but it can be very effective. In the end, at least my conscience is clear and I sleep like a baby!

Gail

Ohmygosh! What an devastating experience! Just don't let it devastate you any more than it has.

Take heart......and do keep us posted.

You have opened up an entirely new concept to many of us.......a consignment fabric store!!! What a cool idea!

Linda/9patch

Knot Knut, There is a lot of Scum in the world like your x-partner. I wonder if they will all end up together in the here-after and if so what will they do to each other!! I worked as Deputy Town Clerk with a Town Clerk like her. In 8 years I regarded her as one of my best friends. I won't go into detail except to say that she waited until I was near death's door in the hospital, with real bad heart problems, when she stabbed me in the back. And when I finally came back to work she looked me straight in the eye with tears in her eyes and simply said, "I should've gone to visit you and had flowers here today to welcome you back." That was before "it" hit the fan!

Well, that was 5 years ago, and needless to say, when I discovered what she had done to me I gave notice effective immediately. Then I asked myself what in life gave me the most pleasure. That's when I started looking for a quilting machine. I couldn't be happier and I pray it will end that way for you, too. When One door closes...

Linda/9Patch,

YES...a consignment fabric store! Of course you all understand that I was able to begin it with my OWN STASH...duh. I worked on the concept for many years...kept a note book of notes and ideas. I would love to tell you all about it...I'm actually writing a concept booklet that I hope to sell someday. When this lawsuit is all over, you'll all be hearing about everything.

Patience is a virtue, they say. I'm not very virtuous...Lord I need patience and I need it RIGHT NOW!!!

Lottie (and everyone) Thank you for your kind words. How awful that your co-worker/supposed friend did that to you! I certainly have a lot of compassion for such things that I didn't have before.

I am now almost a week on Zoloft (It's been 7 months since all this happened and I've just now gotten to the point that I'm seeking help in dealing with it and taking measures to correct it). My friends all say that it was like a divorce or a death. Had I been a stronger person, I may have been able to handle it differently at the time that it happened. Looking back, I realize that that partner was beating me down from the beginning. Kind of like a bad husband! I also have come to realize that it was her jealousy that was the root of all her evil. I've never had a bad husband or a jealousy issue so I just didn't recognize any of it. Hindsight 20/20

Knotknut,

I am with Gerry, I would buy it now! I have been thinking of doing a consignment store also, for quite some time, just haven't had a clue how to start it up.

I am so sorry to here that a friend would do that to anyone! As more and more of your true friends talk to other people and the actions your taking her day will come and she will be out of business. I understand that you want this all to end soon, but just remember that in the end satisfaction will be so sweet. Her days are numbered!

At times my motto is Better Living through Pharmaceuticals!!!!! :P

My thoughts and prayers are with you

Char

Char,

Thanks for your encouragement! I believe I WiLL get that booklet together!

Better Living through Pharmaceuticals...GREAT!

About the partner...I would love to see her 'go down in flames'...sorry, was that outloud?... But the reason I started the business is because our little town needed a fabric store. The nearest is 12 miles away and that's just too far to go when you need something in a hurry. I don't hold anything against anyone that patronizes the shop, but I am very thankful when I hear of people that refuse to. There are going to be people that don't know the truth or know her distorted truth...and I believe she will be able to stay in business based on that...but she could be doing SO MUCH BETTER! We had a good thing going...she just had issues and it didn't work because of them.

Thank you all for your prayers...real prayers!!! That's how I get by.

KK

Originally posted by CLRtoQuilt

At times my motto is Better Living through Pharmaceuticals!!!!! :P

AMEN!!!!

Knot, having issues with depression is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Ask me how I know. :P I've been on a low dose of Celexa for years. I went off it once but found that after going out to dinner with friends, having a nice time, I'd go back to my hotel room and cry (I was traveling for work at the time). When I told my doctor about it she asked me if people had been noticing that I was down. I told her no, I was a good actress. Needless to say, I went back on the medication.

Life is too short to suffer needlessly. You gotta do, what you gotta do.

Just my two cents.

Archived