I did it................And it was good

Well, I taught my first class tonight at the local guild's Quilt college. I was a bit nervous, but I think it all went well. Taught on fixed rulers, adjustable rulers, different design tools that are out there to help us and also templates and how to use them all. I felt good after it was all said and done. There was one longarm quilter among them and the rest were people wondering about it all. I'm so glad that this first class is over and one more to go tomorrow morning @ 9 AM. ;)

Would have loved to been there,, I'll have to connect with you on another presentation, maybe you should do "home Party's" for quilters??,, sounds like fun to me!

Miss you friend! :)

PJ! What a great idea! Home shows! Also, I'd get in front of as many LA groups as possible...

Speaking of which - went to the Amish quilt show a couple of weeks ago and saw a kool tool at the Quilters Rule booth... The sales guy was really busy, he had rulers hanging every where!

I saw one I was wondering if it would fit my hopping foot and so here's a pic of my hopping foot... it's cupped, not straight. I didn't realize it was different til Joyce came to adjust my machine and she told me... Additionally, I don't have a stitch regulator, so when I turn the machine on, I gotta hang on for dear life! LOL

The name of the tool is "Micro Maneuver Tool"... It's not expensive, I think the number for APQS is SF-MMT-2 - What do you think?

Here's a pic of my hopping foot...

post--13461903981235_thumb.jpg

Bobbi - I don't know if it would work for you or not, especially not having a stitch regulator, but if you get one and it doesn't fit, they will take it back (not sure how the shipping would work) but if you went to a show, bought it, took it home and tried it and it didn't work, then take it back to the same show.

By the Way, your hopping foot being cupped like that is cute though:D I would show you my foot, but then I might get embarrassed!:P:P

Now off for the 2nd class........whoopppie;)

Thanks! Maybe I should wait til I can get a machine with a SR... But it looks like a great tool!

And thanks for thinking my foot is cute... LOL

Did I ever tell you I LOVE all your quotes at the bottom of your posts!? You always come up with such great ones!

Bobbette -

I bought that micro tool at the Lancaster, PA show - thought I'd give it a try since I am having trouble getting a handle on the Hartley one I have. The price made it an easy risk to take. Anyway, I got it home (Syracuse, NY) and it didnt fit my machine. They had given me the A1 size by mistake.

2 weeks later I went to MQX in RI - went to the Quilters Rule booth - told them my sad story - and they just made the swap for me. He did say, however, that I wouldnt have been able to return it but a swap was fine. THEY WERE VERY NICE ABOUT IT. Even let me run over to the APQS booth and try it on the machine to make sure this one was right.

Haven't tried it yet since I sstill have a quilt on the frame and I am busy making that mess right now. But I liked how you can see thru it and your hands are right there on the fabric guiding it. The only problem I can see is that when the hopping foot moves up and down, it could become disengaged. It seems like that if you bear down on it a bit - that shouldnt happen. But we'll see!

I'll let you know!

Meg

Meg, thanks for the info... let me know what happens - I'd really like to try something like that - but I'm worried that the type of foot I have wouldn't work... I have to be really careful using rulers cause sometimes it jumps up onto the ruler...

Waiting for you to try it!

Guest Linda S

Good for you Pat! Teaching is a lot of fun. I always get the butterflies right before class, but I generally have a lot of fun. I taught two classes at MQX in the middle of a migraine -- that wasn't so great. As long as I was quilting (first class) I did fine, but second class, when I just had to talk, I lost my train of thought a million times. Will remember to pack migraine meds in the future.

I have both the Micro tool and Deloa's AppliGuide and sometimes I use one and sometimes the other.

With the Micro tool and using both hands, my machine moves better and more evenly than when I use Deloa's, but there are other situations when hers works better. I wouldn't want to part with either. I think that if you don't have a SR, the Micro Tool might be the better first one until you get a SR. Then also get Deloa's.

Yes, they are machine specific. Be sure to mention your machine.

Meg and Bobbette, is your hopping foot set too high?

I got home from the 2nd class and realized that I hadn't been a bit nervous today like I was last night. I really like this teaching gig!! And I will be going to one of the small groups within our guild and teaching there. Don't have the date down for sure yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Yippy Skippy:cool:

Patty Jo, Congrats on your first class!! I shopped at the Quilters Rule booth in Paducah and didnt know anyone but was looking at nametags hoping to see your name. Did buy quite a few things!! Could use classes in what I bought. I have so many rulers wish I knew how to use them all, wish they all came with a set of written instructions!! Wish, wish, wish, I keep forgetting what I see on u-tube would like to see it in writing. Just my pet peeve for all my little gadgets!! Are you teaching at MQS???

Archived