Loading a t shirt quilt

I have a t shirt quilt to do. The t shirt blocks are 12 X 14 with strips of batik sashing between. The quilt is nice and flat. Should I stay stitch around it before I load it? Also what is the best way to load it without stretching it. I am gong to be doing the popcorn panto on it. Thanks

Is there a border? If they have an iron on stabilizer you should be fine. The only thing that would concern me is the seams at the edge, have they backstitched to keep the stitching from coming out? I ususally put a border around the quilts, just like a regular pieced quilt, even if it is only a 2" border. In that case I wouldn't worry about stitching around the edges.

I've done four or five and have had no trouble with them stretching at all. I've heard that ball-point needles are good, though because of the knit. I currently have one waiting that has t-shirts on the top and on the back and am hoping the machine can handle the bulk.

Sue

• 1 year later...

I have quilted several tee shirt quilts. They have all had stabilizer on them. I have one that is coming and they lady put the front of the tees on the front of the quilt and the backs on the back of the quilt. How can I make sure these get lined up properly? any Ideas?

I don\'t know that you can. You can measure the backing and the top and figure out where to place the top when you get ready to qult. Meaning if your backing is 68" long and it will have a bit of a border, then decide how far you can measure down to position your top and still be lined up with the back. That is probably the easiest way, but not sure it works every time. Good luck. Try not to lose your mind:)

Archived