God, give me more patience....

I'm still working on this dang hawaiin quilt, the one that already had the batting and backing partially quilted (around the applique motif).

I did some medium meandering, but am now in the center area (background) and I'm trying to echo one row around the applique. Some of it is great. The other half (yes Half!) is making me pull my hair out, between pulling out huge areas of quilting. Why is some nicely moving around the motif and the other moving as far away from the 1/4 " mark as possible?????

It's making me sick, my toe hurts (broke it 2 weeks ago on a dog) and (wait, I didn't kick the dog, he and I collided!) I'm unstitching more than I'm stitching.

how does that serenity prayer go again???

This t-shirt helps me a lot ! I think this is the prayer you are looking for.'Grant me the Serenity to accept that seams don't always line up The courage to rip out and the wisdom to know the difference' A quilter's dream. I got this in Houston several years ago and need to replace it, it's getting faded. I haven't seen it again. I found that if you stand back a while things tend to look better. You know we are the worst critic !:D Good luck. Glenda

Guest Linda S

Oh dear Cynthia! :o I know how it is -- some days nothing seems to go right. When you're doing your echo, are you just freehanding, or are you attempting to stabilize with a ruler or template? When I want to be precise, I generally use a small oval template that fits nicely in my hand. I use it to help guide the hopping foot where I want it to go. If I want extreme precision in outlining, I use Tracey Browning's Applique and Stitch Guide. It wraps right around the hopping foot and gives you great control. I can't do echoing very well without a little help from my friends!

Linda

Oh Cynthia, trying to echo and rip out with an aching toe to boot! Beyond the call of duty!! I'm lousy at echoing smoothly too....can you get away with using a wavy line instead of a smooth line? I have a Hawaian quilt to do also, and was hoping I could use a wavy line for the echo. Rob's Rulers also makes a device shaped like a heart that goes around the foot to steer it, that Patty has had success with in doing an echo. Good luck and don't be too critical.:cool:

Unless your customer insists that this is a traditional Hawaiian quilt, don't echo!!!!!! You can use a wonderful stylized background stitch and draw in the shape on the applique. Such as, if it is a leaf, many Hawaiian quilters draw in the veins, flower petals, etc.

And if the insistence is on echoing, it;s okay to use the edge of your foot as a guide. Once you're near the edge, it would be easier to quilt the actual edge using a Micro Drive than trying to echo it. You'll bump into the fabric that's turned under . You can ask me how I know! I'm from Hawaii and was determined to do Hawaiian quilts with my longarms. A little adjustment is needed from the traditional method. And, again, if you're echoing, I hope you're charging a lot of money.

I'm working on a Hawaiian wallhanging right now. Have fun with it! Look at your meandering styles and pick one suitable for the applique shape.

Have a great day,

Sylvia Jacobus

Kent, WA

Liberty

PS My first machine worn her Hawaiian name quite proudly, she was Madame Pele, the goddess of fire. That's another whole story!:cool:

Guest Linda S

Yep! That would be the one. I buy a lot of stuff from Dan at Columbia River because he is just up the freeway from me and most stuff arrives here the next day. I love Tracey's rulers!

Linda

One of the problems is that the quilt is very heavy with the 3 layers already put together. so it sags in the middle. I have a friend coming over to help me stabilize it so I can work with it this evening. I have to pull out all the basting stitches (seems the hopping foot does not like basting stitches).

BTW : THIS IS NOT A MACHINE PROBLEM...(for any newbies or prospective buyers)

It is a problem quilt....

Cynthia

Oh Cynthia - Hang in there! You will be done soon enough - good thing

to have a friend come over to help you - and also listen!

"KnotKnut" - why are your ankles swelling? I think maybe you are spending

to much time on your feet! Better find some hand work to do, sit back, have

some Bon Bons and relax!:cool:

Archived