Your quilting space.

would love to see all the different ways you set up your quilting rooms , i just love seeing them.

My room is very small my husband gave me half of his shed and we enclosed it in to a room so unless i take the rest i have no where to go yet.

So i would love to see your room or any space saving ideas would be great.

Sharyn

My quilting space is not large, only 17 X 11. My LA takes up most of the space on the back wall. On either side of the door on the other wall I have my DSM , and then a computer desk. That is it for space for, But I also have a closet on either end of the room that is 11 X 4. so lots of storage.

I have carts lined up under my LA for thread storage, cleaning supplies, rulers....etc. I have to keep the room clean or I don't have room to work...Maybe a smaller space is better!

There have been lots of pics on here about quilting spaces......I will see if I can find some links for you!

Kerry,

Your studio is so tidy, I am green with envy. ;)

Sharyn

What a perfectly timed request you have made.

I have been slowly building my own studio. It has been quite the long and somewhat painful process.

It is a large space so I thought I would try and save myself a few $ and bought the cabinets that require assembly instead of the preassembled cabinets which saved me anywhere from $20-$40 each. Dumb idea.

I bought several books to get ideas for the design and layout then planned and drew up the floor plan myself.

The floor is installed the walls painted, and now all the cabinets are finally assembled and installed. I have done the majority of the work myself with a little help from my Dad (helped me install the sink and it's plumbing) and my daughter's boyfriend helped with the large pantry size cabinets. Had to get hubby (who is a carpenter) to level the cabinets and install the laminate countertops as that was beyond my capabilities.

All of the cabinets I used were from Home Depot (2.5 hrs away) which also helped me decide to use the cabinets that need to be assembled as I could buy more at one time. I would have had to make 10 trips if I purchased the preassembled cabinets.

Most of my stuff is moved in but I am at the stage where I really could use a professional organizer (live in a small town and I think that is out of the questions as I don't know of any in the area) to help me get this place to what I want it to be. Organized, functional and enjoyable. Instead, it is 80% complete and I dread trying to finish it.

I refuse to show pictures of it in the state it is in, so I am begging anyone to give their advise on how they organized their studio. PLEASE, I beg of you, send me a lifeline. I am sinking...........

Photos would be the icing on the cake.

Maybe then I could show you my studio once it is photo-worthy.

Thank you,

Lisa:)

My quilting space is barely 10"x8". I have my machine on a home frame to fit it in. I have plastic drawer units under the frame and a slim shelving unit behind me. I only work from the front of the machine so it is pushed as far back as possible to leave me a gap a bit over a foot wide to stand in . I would say the most important tip for storage is use all the space up and down. I have shelves right to the not very high ceiling and the storage under the frame goes floor to rails.

Ferret

you can also do a search or 2. make sure to change the timeframe to 'from the beginning' or you wont get many matches. i have found lots of answers using this tool.

a while back someone also had a great way of organizing pantos for customers to view. i dont use pantos - so i didnt save it - but i bet someone has.

have fun - i just finished moving my space and i am so happy. sometimes i just look around and cant believe my luck!

i am a bit discouraged cause it hasnt even been a week...and it is already a big mess!!! but my old spaces were always sorta messy -so i guess i have made myself at home!

My place is a disaster right now. I never really got moved in (good excuse for a cluttered person). I have the basement and most of it is finished. So my sewing area is about 16 x 19 and my machine sits in its own area that is about 16 x 8. Then I have a separate room about 12 x 12 for all the other crafty things I do (of course, it is still all in boxes since moving).

I am most thankful for the space because I have 2 DSM and they each have their own table. My DD is quilting with me, using one of the machines so it is ideal for me.:D:D

My Studio space is our Master bedroom, a 16 x 16 ft room with ensuite bathroom and a little walk in closet. When we bought our retirement home we never thought I needed a quilting space. I have attached a collage of various views and I apologize for the MESS! I had to work feverishly these last couple days to get some things completed, and clean up is scheduled for today. It usually is a very nice and tidy room as I absolutely hate chaos! My hubby made some nice shelveing units for me, the cabinets under the machine hold threads, and as you can see, my fabric closet is overflowing. I simply have to stop buying fabric!

post--1346190408138_thumb.jpg

Monica,

Your space looks great!! I absolutely love those cabinets under your machine. Where did you get them?

I would absolutely give up my master bedroom if I could have a fabulous room like yours!!:)

Enjoy it and thanks for sharing your pics theyare perfect.

Lisa

Lisa thanks a bunch, the cabinets where bought at Home Depot. They are actually a Closet Storage System. We didn't put the legs on them, they just sit on the carpet, but work very well for me. Ikea has some awesome storage solutions as well, but I am 8 hours away from the nearest one, so these serve the purpose. My hubby made the shelf/table affair where my computer and Serger sit on, as well as the shelves hanging above my Embroidery machine. He also put a couple boards with hangers along the wall behind my Freedom with hooks for all my rulers and templates. I love the room when it is neat and tidy, everything is handy.

I hear you about Ikea. The closest Ikea to me is 8 hrs in either direction. Calgary or Vancouver. Not just a day trip.

Thanks for the info I will look the next time I go to Home Depot it is only 2.5 hrs away (Spokane WA) or a little over 3 hrs away (Kelowna). Got to love Canada we are so spread out if you don't live in a major city you might as well be in the sticks:D

Thanks again,

Lisa

I love discussions about sewing space. I think when there is a will there is a way no matter the circumstances. When first married with small kids, my space was a corner of the living room, then a corner of the dining room. When one kid went off college I got her room and sewed/quilted in that 11X11 space for 18 years. It worked fine. Then as retirement approached we started making plans for moving to our beach home and the dreaming began. We knew we were building a bigger garage so we added a second floor all for me. I drew, dreamed, studied, drew, dreamed, studied and drew some more. Now I have a glorious space and absolutley love it but you know what, if we hadn't built this building I would still be happily doing what I do in whatever space I eeked out. Enjoy what you have but never stop dreaming, you never know what will come next.

Pics in my webshots if interested.

Lynda!!!! I love your studio, it seems that all of your dreaming and planning came to life! It is a wonderful space to create in. I think your bear paw quilt is gorgeous. I am interested in recreating your ironing station. Did you take two kitchen cart type cabinets, attach them to each other and then add the ironing surface?

Nice job!

Thank you Anne for your kind words.

The pressing station is made of two "hobby cabinets" from Chaparral Furniture. Model number 927W1 Hobby Station.

The top we made actually holds them together and it is made of scraps from the sewing and cutting tables. Hope this helps.

Archived