pin caught inside the quilting

I've had this happen too. Is it a flowerhead pin or does it have a ball on it? You can try to separate it and just leave the head of the pin inside the quilt, unless it is a big headed pin. In that case just open up the closest seam and work out the pin. Hopefully this won't be too big of an area to have to re-quilt.

Hate when this happens....just know your not alone in this this, and that there are many of us whom have done this same thing.

Heidi has given you the only solution to fix the situation. Just be glad it wasn't something big like your snips and you hit it while you were quilting and jammed your timing. That's even a larger mess than just leaving a pin in.

Hand quilters have this happen as well...I have a scar that goes from pointer finger tip to wrist where my grandmother left one in and I found it while I was making the bed.

Not really related to your issue, but when I was in high school my mother made us all ski wear. I found one of the pins that she had used inside my jacket. It was a ball head pin, but I was able to poke it out, cut off the metal portion, and then leave the pin head in the jacket. Granted, my jacket probably had a lot more loft than your quilt. Good luck to you.

Another been there done that; twice for the same friend. Once was a flowerhead that I opened a seam and removed and told her to close the seam. And the second just last week broke a needle and was a safety pin! And the strange thing about it was as I laid it out on the table to measure I heard the pin hitting and dragging on the table but could never find it! I'll look until I find next time. Thankfully, after replacing the needle everything was alright with the machine.

Originally posted by quiltingfairy

without damage to the wadding

Fiona.....there is NO chance of damage to your wadding. I can't think of any other way of getting it out than those already mentioned. And leaving the pin head won't hurt anything either. I'm just surprised you didn't hit it while quilting that's amazing in itself.

Archived