Can't find the how-to for this.

A while ago maybe a month or two ago, someone posted how they use ribbon in the borders before binding to make quilts that aren't quite square or are wavy, hang straight. She had step by step directions and I would love to put this helpful hint on my site for my customers. #1- can't find the topic and #2 - can I put this on my site if I put your name on the how-to? Can anyone find this topic? I have looked at ribbon in the border, hanging wavy quilts stuff like that but still can't find it. TIA

I don't remember who posted it and I know they will chime in. But you stitch an 1/8 grosgrain ribbon inside the the binding edge of the quilt. Cut it to the finished length each side, stitch inside the binding edge on the quilt then bind like usual. I think that is correct, but someone chime in if I am wrong:)

I'd love for the experts to chime in here. Is this something that is regularly done? I have always wondered if the "masters" ever put a stiffning agent in their bindings. I once seriously considered slipping a small slice of buckrum inside the layered edges of wall hangings before binding.

I remember reading something somewhere about this. Where? Who knows. But it 's like in tailoring. You sew a twill tape on the seam only after you swrink the twill tape. I've never tried it on a quilt, but make lots on sense! I did this in lots of sports jackets for my brother and dad years ago.

I might be missing something, but would you sew this ribbon on 1st - right on the binding seam line, or toward the edge a little, or would you sew your binding on first time, then add this ribbon (well, maybe not, because then your binding might not be square). Actually, in the past I have sewn my binding on with the same method you use to add borders to a quilt. Measure through the centers and write these #'s down. After you turn the 1st corner of your binding, measure the binding and mark the center, quarters, whatever you want - then you know that the binding on each side is the same size even if the quilt is not?!

From the sound of the post by Jean Shute, I would assume the grosgrain ribbon was stitched on before the binding is stitched on. It would be the way to keep the edge from stretching before sewing the binding on. One is using the same method as applying a border.

This sounds really intriguing and I was wondering if you couldn't do this for those wonky quilts that don't have the borders put on correctly. Square them up with the ribbon before you quilt them, if the ribbon is narrow it would fit into the binding and unseen. What do you think?

Archived