Glad to be back in the quilting fold

Hello again friends and fellow quilters! I’ve been away both literally off and on, and mentally for a while. I’m back on track now that I’ve quit my ‘Day Job’, this is my second retirement and now I’m going to quilt quilt quilt! I’m never going back to the job market again. You know what THEY say: never say never but I really mean it!!

There have been a few changes in my life recently. Besides quitting my Day Job, my DH has moved to Florida and I may go down there for fall and winter, but I refuse to go for summer! Our daughter took a job in San Francisco and since the housing market is so bad in Florida we are house sitting until the market turns or she decides to walk away. Not too bad a place to live as her house is beautiful with pool and is part of a private housing complex with two clubhouses , two public pools, two gyms, and a golf course. Renting isn’t really an option being clear across the county. She left it fully furnished dishes and all!

I’ve already gotten a call for help with how to cook this or that and what should I make for dinner? LOL He appreciates me now.

We have a HUGE yard, it was impractical to pay someone to do the yard work, so my job for the summer is gardening, quilting, and quit shows. I’m really good with the riding lawn mower but the edging is a pain, there are seemingly miles of curves. I’m just not good at running that darn thing; choke this, push that, change the plastic stringy thing, Oh did I just to that 100 feet with no plastic string AGAIN! When I finished the outer back lawn two days ago I took 14 huge bags to the dump, loading and unloading them just about killed me, and the lawn isn’t in full growth mode yet here in N. Idaho. Maybe I’ll end up in better shape by the end of summer!

An ironic twist to all this is now he’s driving around a car with the plate that says IQLT4U and I’m in a truck that has a plate: RETBC for Retired Battalion Chief. I told him if he gets approached call me!!

I have become a booth helper for Barb Mayfield and have a great time traveling to shows with her and helping people become aquatinted with the Millie. She’s a blast to hang out with and I’ve learned a lot from her. I went to a few shows last year and enjoyed it so decided this year to do it more often since I had the time now.

I was sort of on a roll quilting for others in December but then I got busy at work and quilting fell off, I want to be ready for this year’s Christmas rush. Since I am still new at the business in an area full of long arm quilters, I get called mainly when no one else is available.

The forum is so full of information and help, even when I lurk I learn! I’ll post a pic of the latest quilt for customer as soon as I remember how! She’s picking it up tomorrow and it’s always butterflies in the stomach until they see and hopefully like it! I get sweaty palms preparing the invoices. Does that ever go away?

Shar,

Welcome back to the fun quilting world again. I hear you about the yard work. It is such a pain to do and really cuts into quilting time. I'm a new quilter with a few customer quilts to begin with and I have the same feeling in my stomach when I make out the invoice. I'm the lowest price/in of all the quilters in my area, but always worry about what they will think when they pick up their quilts and see invoice. I have had 2 tell me I'm not charging enough. That's a good feeling, at least I'm not overcharging.!! Can't wait to see some of your pics. Dar

Welcome back Shar, and yes, Barb is a sweet kind lady, I had to chance to hang with her and the rest of APQS chatroom gals last year at MQS. The best bunch of longarmers in the world.

You will know if its time to raise your longarm charges without guilt.

Corey

Thanks for the welcome back, Patty Jo and Bekah I can't wait to have a fun filled weekend too, I'm looking forward to going somewhere and not worring about MONDAY or what ever day getting back to work was supposed to be.

Patty Butcher, I will be in Coral Springs, near Ft. Laurderdale. I believe you are in the pan handle but not impossible to get together if I end up down there for a few months or more, I know we always enjoyed our winter vacations there. DH went our this morning for a walk, he does this for exercise and said he got eaten by bugs and figured out reallly fast not to hold his mouth open while doing so, needless to say it wasnt' the pleasant experience he was looking forward to! Tomorrow he'll ride his bike maybe he can out run them!!

Archived