NQR Bobbin Jewels..How many days left

Actually Friday was my last day. The teachers had a party for me and they had all made quilt squares and gave them to me along with a very generous gift certificate to a LQS. Of course, I was a blubbering fool. Since I always get the summer off I don't really feel retired yet. That will come in August when all of my teacher friends go back to work and I'm sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee and the morning paper.:D

Julie, you won't FEEL retired even then. It will actually take you awhile. You will continue to dream you are working and making lesson plans, and grading papers, and late for work. I think I dreamed I just skipped work and forgot to call in 100 times. You really will love retirement! I thought I'd have all this "free" time to do stuff but you'll be surprised how quickly that free time gets filled up with family and such. How long did you teach? and what grades?

I taught 3rd grade for 23 years. I loved my job, but the trends in education are eliminating the "art" of teaching and trying to make it a science with perfect test scores as the goal. I decided to retire before I got burned out. My last day with students was full of hugs and tears, but I know I have made the right decision.

Another good teacher leaves the fold. I too took a leap after 23 years, I described it as the politics of teaching, and it felt really good.

You will miss the kids, But not the teaching!

Unless like me seven years later you find yourself now teaching quilting. Such joy.

Teaching to people who DO want to be there.

Enjoy your time out of the classroom, but I reckon you will still be as super organised as we were in the classroom! I still haven't watched any daytime television.

Lyn

Archived