UPDATED-QUILT GONE-CUSTOMER HAPPY-Needing to Vent-Frustrated w/Customer Quilt

Cindy.

These quilts are tough! No way around it. I have one that is all quilter's cotton - no flannel - and it is doing the same thing. It is a pretty quilt and I pressed it but the bag and sag factor can not be erased! My quilting looks like a mess because as I stitch, the bagginess moves right along. Yuck!

My advice, which I wish I took (!!), is to do the simplest thing and be done. You can not fix them all into submission. Many say...they quilt them as they get them....these baggy-saggy quilts are what they are. You can only do so much when the fabric and piecing is like this.

Good luck and move on quickly.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

New Jersey

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the customer came and picked up the finished quilt today and was very happy with it. The starch and steam method helped the back somewhat (it was on the non-flannel part) and we agreed to do a smaller rope border so as not to butt up next to the other seams to keep it from puckering. Yeah! It feels good to get that behind me. We agreed it was a learning experience for both of us.:)

So the customer came and picked up the finished quilt today and was very happy with it. The starch and steam method helped the back somewhat (it was on the non-flannel part) and we agreed to do a smaller rope border so as not to butt up next to the other seams to keep it from puckering. Yeah! It feels good to get that behind me. We agreed it was a learning experience for both of us.:)

You handled this extremely well!!!! Kudos to you Cindy. Haven't heard the word kudos in a while--wonder if I'm just getting too old LOL---Dave B.

P.S. Do you feel like starting a Long Armers Dictionary?? ie.., Wonky, baggy, flappy, rounded, puckered, warped etc, etc, etc.

Note* I've never been so impressed with a group of people in my life as the quilters, why didn't I find them sooner in life! Sincerely---Dave B.

You handled this extremely well!!!! Kudos to you Cindy. Haven't heard the word kudos in a while--wonder if I'm just getting too old LOL---Dave B.

P.S. Do you feel like starting a Long Armers Dictionary?? ie.., Wonky, baggy, flappy, rounded, puckered, warped etc, etc, etc.

Note* I've never been so impressed with a group of people in my life as the quilters, why didn't I find them sooner in life! Sincerely---Dave B.

Originally posted by Dave-Jane

I agree. Quilters are the most wonderful people in the whole wide wonderful world. I was nearly 40 when I discovered quilting and nearly 45 before I realized how wonderful the quilters were behind this fascinating and creative world. :)

Originally posted by Dave-Jane

I agree. Quilters are the most wonderful people in the whole wide wonderful world. I was nearly 40 when I discovered quilting and nearly 45 before I realized how wonderful the quilters were behind this fascinating and creative world. :)

Isn't age, gravity, and all those other things that get us just great! Nice to know we are all beautiful inside and express it in our work!

How did you know Sylvia, I restore and drive horsecarriages or used to, Jane and I own llamas and I made a spinning wheel for her to use for her fibre as she is (fibre nuts??) knitting, crotcheting,piecing. spinning yarn, and in charge of Dave! Busy Gal!!! LOL, 5 dogs, a bunch of cats, and Molly Brown our driving expert--just put her on autopilot and she'll take the carriage and all home! Being out with my foot so long I'm a little (23 quilts ) behind on my long arming with more coming. I did some,"had to go yesterday quilts", during my healing period that I probably shouldn't have and Jane told the customer that these were very special as these were really a pain to do in good humor. They understood and were really appreciative! Even the customers in this biz are great and understanding!

.-- I wonder if Molly can run the machine--LOL She'd probably just get to horsing around and eat them!

You all have a great wonderful and just generally nice weekend---Dave B.

Isn't age, gravity, and all those other things that get us just great! Nice to know we are all beautiful inside and express it in our work!

How did you know Sylvia, I restore and drive horsecarriages or used to, Jane and I own llamas and I made a spinning wheel for her to use for her fibre as she is (fibre nuts??) knitting, crotcheting,piecing. spinning yarn, and in charge of Dave! Busy Gal!!! LOL, 5 dogs, a bunch of cats, and Molly Brown our driving expert--just put her on autopilot and she'll take the carriage and all home! Being out with my foot so long I'm a little (23 quilts ) behind on my long arming with more coming. I did some,"had to go yesterday quilts", during my healing period that I probably shouldn't have and Jane told the customer that these were very special as these were really a pain to do in good humor. They understood and were really appreciative! Even the customers in this biz are great and understanding!

.-- I wonder if Molly can run the machine--LOL She'd probably just get to horsing around and eat them!

You all have a great wonderful and just generally nice weekend---Dave B.

What a perfect ending to your story, Cindy. I'm glad it worked out so well for you.

I have only done 8 quilts so far in my business (started end of Aprl). One was a queen from a well known and liked guild member, with much experience. It was very pretty - sort of 30's look top. Thank goodness for Bonnie's starch and steam method, because I needed it on the borders, big time! I ran a 1 cent meandering special, and this was one of the quilts. I only made about $80 on it, and the amount of time was rediculous for the money. I really should have charged her a PITA fee, but I already quoted her the price, and being new to the business, I was afraid to even tell her about the issues I had. But, being a meander, I was able to nail it down and the quilt was great when it was finished. She was very happy with the results. Whewwww!

I did one for a friend about a year ago. It was 104 X 115 and was the quilt from hell! She wanted a meander in the center, and a different design in each of the three borders, feathers in the last and widest one. I said I would do it for 2 cents a square inch. I should have been paid $239, but with the trouble I had, and 2 cans of starch later...and the time for it to dry, etc, this sucker was on my frame way, way too long. I called her and explained the issues I was having. I took pictures and e-mailed them to her of the ripples and tunnels through her quilt while I was advancing it on the frame. I took before & after pictures of the S&S areas so she could see what I went through (and how poorly she "slapped on the borders," which is exactly what she told me she always does. Anyway, instead of getting $239 (no PITA fee even charged), she wrote me a check for $60 and said she would have paid me more, but obviously I wasn't experienced enough to know how to handle these situations in a more timely fashion (I had the quilt for about 3 weeks). What????? Needless to say, that was the last quilt I did for her! Except...when a year later she called me begging me to quilt a baby quilt for her grandson's baby shower that was in a few days. I suggested another LA quilter that she always raved about, but she said this woman had a long waiting list, so it would not be done by "tomorrow," and would take about 5 or 6 months. I felt bad, so I quilted it - but, I told her the price and said I wanted cash up front. She was hurt, but I reminded her of the queen size quilt from hell. She didn't say anything and gave me the money when she gave me the top. Fortunately, there weren't any problems with this baby quilt, so all was well.

But, with that story in mind, I was afraid to say anything to the lady from guild about the trouble I had with her borders. I was afraid that she might tell her guild friends that I wasn't experienced enough, and to stay with their regular quilter, etc, whine, whine. I did take pictures, so if the subject ever comes up, I can show them to her. But in this situation, I kept my mouth shut. Maybe I was right; maybe I was wrong. I guess only time will tell.

What a perfect ending to your story, Cindy. I'm glad it worked out so well for you.

I have only done 8 quilts so far in my business (started end of Aprl). One was a queen from a well known and liked guild member, with much experience. It was very pretty - sort of 30's look top. Thank goodness for Bonnie's starch and steam method, because I needed it on the borders, big time! I ran a 1 cent meandering special, and this was one of the quilts. I only made about $80 on it, and the amount of time was rediculous for the money. I really should have charged her a PITA fee, but I already quoted her the price, and being new to the business, I was afraid to even tell her about the issues I had. But, being a meander, I was able to nail it down and the quilt was great when it was finished. She was very happy with the results. Whewwww!

I did one for a friend about a year ago. It was 104 X 115 and was the quilt from hell! She wanted a meander in the center, and a different design in each of the three borders, feathers in the last and widest one. I said I would do it for 2 cents a square inch. I should have been paid $239, but with the trouble I had, and 2 cans of starch later...and the time for it to dry, etc, this sucker was on my frame way, way too long. I called her and explained the issues I was having. I took pictures and e-mailed them to her of the ripples and tunnels through her quilt while I was advancing it on the frame. I took before & after pictures of the S&S areas so she could see what I went through (and how poorly she "slapped on the borders," which is exactly what she told me she always does. Anyway, instead of getting $239 (no PITA fee even charged), she wrote me a check for $60 and said she would have paid me more, but obviously I wasn't experienced enough to know how to handle these situations in a more timely fashion (I had the quilt for about 3 weeks). What????? Needless to say, that was the last quilt I did for her! Except...when a year later she called me begging me to quilt a baby quilt for her grandson's baby shower that was in a few days. I suggested another LA quilter that she always raved about, but she said this woman had a long waiting list, so it would not be done by "tomorrow," and would take about 5 or 6 months. I felt bad, so I quilted it - but, I told her the price and said I wanted cash up front. She was hurt, but I reminded her of the queen size quilt from hell. She didn't say anything and gave me the money when she gave me the top. Fortunately, there weren't any problems with this baby quilt, so all was well.

But, with that story in mind, I was afraid to say anything to the lady from guild about the trouble I had with her borders. I was afraid that she might tell her guild friends that I wasn't experienced enough, and to stay with their regular quilter, etc, whine, whine. I did take pictures, so if the subject ever comes up, I can show them to her. But in this situation, I kept my mouth shut. Maybe I was right; maybe I was wrong. I guess only time will tell.

Sandra,

I can't believe the nerve of your friend! That is not a friend in my book. I always scratch my head wondering how people can act like that. I find that if I have a quilt that is wonky my customers know it is wonky and are always surprised at how it looks when it is done. That is always a good feeling. I've been lucky that I haven't had a customer that is obnoxious. I've been very blessed. It has taken a long time to get my business built up but that is ok with me. This is my 2nd job so when I get gaps I'm almost thankful :P:P:P. Right now I have a waiting list until the end of Oct. My customers are getting wise now and getting added to the list when they start a project. That is good because I have lots of repeat customers. One gal brought me 2 and loved those so she added 2 more on her list. Called me shortly after that and added another. She just dropped off two tops and is on the list for another and then added yet another. My point is hang in there and it will happen. Just takes time. What helped me was that every month at guild I brought a quilt that I had done. Now I rarely get to bring a quilt I did for me but my customers almost always bring theirs so I have my own little show-n-tell. This always gets me a referral.

Sandra,

I can't believe the nerve of your friend! That is not a friend in my book. I always scratch my head wondering how people can act like that. I find that if I have a quilt that is wonky my customers know it is wonky and are always surprised at how it looks when it is done. That is always a good feeling. I've been lucky that I haven't had a customer that is obnoxious. I've been very blessed. It has taken a long time to get my business built up but that is ok with me. This is my 2nd job so when I get gaps I'm almost thankful :P:P:P. Right now I have a waiting list until the end of Oct. My customers are getting wise now and getting added to the list when they start a project. That is good because I have lots of repeat customers. One gal brought me 2 and loved those so she added 2 more on her list. Called me shortly after that and added another. She just dropped off two tops and is on the list for another and then added yet another. My point is hang in there and it will happen. Just takes time. What helped me was that every month at guild I brought a quilt that I had done. Now I rarely get to bring a quilt I did for me but my customers almost always bring theirs so I have my own little show-n-tell. This always gets me a referral.

I read in The forum about starch & steam method. I, also, had a baggy back. I was happy to hear how Sandra handled the problem. Could you send me to the article about starch & steam. I stretched the back a lot but to my surprise the quilt turned out perfectly square without wrinkles. I sweated a lot!! This is a beautiful quilt and I wanted to do a good job.

I read in The forum about starch & steam method. I, also, had a baggy back. I was happy to hear how Sandra handled the problem. Could you send me to the article about starch & steam. I stretched the back a lot but to my surprise the quilt turned out perfectly square without wrinkles. I sweated a lot!! This is a beautiful quilt and I wanted to do a good job.

Archived