comparison

Okay here is my 2 cents. Test drive, rent time if you have to on any and all machines. The one you keep going back to is the one you want. Also make a list when you do at each machine, listing the things you like and didn't like. Don't rely on your memory. Go to a show, find people in your area with different machines, not every machine likes every thread. I have been able to use any thread I want on my Milli, but my friend with an HQ16 cannot and sticks to just one brand. I'm not afraid to tweek the tension for different threads, she doesn't like to tweek things.

Everyone has purchased their machine based on personal preference and will tell you there's is the best. If you cannot drive them all, get on the different forumns and ask people what they like or what they wish was different on their machine. You need to look at it like buying a car. What options do you like, do you like how it handles, do you want an SUV or a compact, Toyota or Chevy, etc.

It is all a personal preference and I don't think anyone on here will say they don't like their machine, but they might want something a little different to suit them. Not everyone on this site has an APQS machine, but check with other machine owners and ask how they liked their customer service. APQS is great, but I haven't called Gammil, because I don't have one. If you can you get assistance over the phone, will they ship parts, is there a dealer close by. Maybe someone else who owns the same machine and can help trouble shoot.

Again personal preference and good luck on you purchase. Narrow it down to 2-3 machines and go drive them. I drove 8 hours to test drive a machine and once I drove it I wanted that one. But I had test drove many over several years.

Good luck and happy shopping! It is a scarry purchase, kind of like buying a car!!

Shirley

It would be hard for me to campare the APQS and Gammil machines at this point because both companies recently released machines with fabulous new features. The APQS it's the "Bliss and Gammil it's the "New Vision".

I used a Milly for a year before buying my Gammill. The Milly was a very good machine good stitch and tension but the Milly was just to big and heavy for the Quilting style I perfer. I love Custom Mico Quilting, so I bought a Gammill Premier. This machine was perfect for me and I always had a great stitch and tension. Two weeks ago I traded my absolutally perfect machine for a new Gammill Vision. Although my old Gammill was perfect all I can say is that my new Gammill Vision is way beyond perfect, it's so much better than my sweet old gammill that I had before. I think you will find the same situation to be true with the APQS's, the new shouldn't be campared to the old because both are good performing machines. I think it's best to find out which machine size fits your style of quilting best and then find the machine brand you are the most comfortable quilting at. All the major brands have pros and cons but they are all good machines.

Have fun searching...and testing...it's so much fun and exciting too.

Terry

It would be hard for me to campare the APQS and Gammil machines at this point because both companies recently released machines with fabulous new features. The APQS it's the "Bliss and Gammil it's the "New Vision".

I used a Milly for a year before buying my Gammill. The Milly was a very good machine good stitch and tension but the Milly was just to big and heavy for the Quilting style I perfer. I love Custom Mico Quilting, so I bought a Gammill Premier. This machine was perfect for me and I always had a great stitch and tension. Two weeks ago I traded my absolutally perfect machine for a new Gammill Vision. Although my old Gammill was perfect all I can say is that my new Gammill Vision is way beyond perfect, it's so much better than my sweet old gammill that I had before. I think you will find the same situation to be true with the APQS's, the new shouldn't be campared to the old because both are good performing machines. I think it's best to find out which machine size fits your style of quilting best and then find the machine brand you are the most comfortable quilting at. All the major brands have pros and cons but they are all good machines.

Have fun searching...and testing...it's so much fun and exciting too.

Terry

Abby,

It seems that you have gotten some very good advice. I too decided on APQS and for me the big issues were tension & customer service. I also really looked at the ability to work on my own machine. Gammil's prices for replacement parts were much higher and it required you to take your machine in for service. I think just about everything on an APQS are plug and play. YOu can change them out yourself and it really isn't complicated. The APQS staff are just awesome! They will help you out and if for some reason you can't get somebody there is always somebody on here that will help. To me those were the things that swayed me. I've had my machine almost 3 years and I have never regreted buying.

Abby,

It seems that you have gotten some very good advice. I too decided on APQS and for me the big issues were tension & customer service. I also really looked at the ability to work on my own machine. Gammil's prices for replacement parts were much higher and it required you to take your machine in for service. I think just about everything on an APQS are plug and play. YOu can change them out yourself and it really isn't complicated. The APQS staff are just awesome! They will help you out and if for some reason you can't get somebody there is always somebody on here that will help. To me those were the things that swayed me. I've had my machine almost 3 years and I have never regreted buying.

Reading thru the posts here, I have a APQS Lenni, and I agree with most, as far as the limitations of my machine will let me. I knew about and the budget said Lenni or nothing..

When I got to the post Linda Rech, I kept thinking, Yup, right, exactly, etc... before I knew who wrote it. I guess My thoughts are the same as you Linda.. Hugs to you and Den, too.

I had a much cheaper machine, and that is the clue, "cheaper" wasn't much worth the money I spent, plus the parts to rebuild it so it would work.

Still have it, would like to sell, $750.00, plus packing and shipping.

RitaR

RitaR

Reading thru the posts here, I have a APQS Lenni, and I agree with most, as far as the limitations of my machine will let me. I knew about and the budget said Lenni or nothing..

When I got to the post Linda Rech, I kept thinking, Yup, right, exactly, etc... before I knew who wrote it. I guess My thoughts are the same as you Linda.. Hugs to you and Den, too.

I had a much cheaper machine, and that is the clue, "cheaper" wasn't much worth the money I spent, plus the parts to rebuild it so it would work.

Still have it, would like to sell, $750.00, plus packing and shipping.

RitaR

RitaR

One of the things that I factored in when deciding to buy was the weight of the machine head itself. I knew that if I needed to take it anywhere for service, I needed to be able to take it off the support system (table in my case), carry it down one or two flights of stairs, and out to the vehicle. Then reverse the process when it came home. 37 pounds sure beat 70 for me.

One of the things that I factored in when deciding to buy was the weight of the machine head itself. I knew that if I needed to take it anywhere for service, I needed to be able to take it off the support system (table in my case), carry it down one or two flights of stairs, and out to the vehicle. Then reverse the process when it came home. 37 pounds sure beat 70 for me.

I bought my APQS-Millie and I love it. I agree with everyone's reasons why the APQS machine, dealers, techs and forum are wonderful!

I had a class at MQS this year where we used the Gammils--it reeeeeally re-enforced my belief, APQS is the way to go.

I bought my APQS-Millie and I love it. I agree with everyone's reasons why the APQS machine, dealers, techs and forum are wonderful!

I had a class at MQS this year where we used the Gammils--it reeeeeally re-enforced my belief, APQS is the way to go.

I had a Handi Quilter (HQ 16) for about 5 years. When thinking of getting a new machine I looked at their new models and then at APQS. I live in Iowa so having the dealer/showroom and factory near me was a big factor. My husband went with me to test drive an APQS machine and I had my list of "wants" ready. I narrowed the field down to the Freedom or the Millennium. My husband was VERY impressed with the quality of the frame and the machine and since they were having a sale on the Millennium, I chose that one. I've had it since late March and love it. I also chose to add the automatic advance and so glad I did. Ask a lot of questions - talk to people about their experiences, etc. I know 3 people who have APQS machines and have had them for many years without a speck of trouble. I love the 8 year warranty, too.

I had a Handi Quilter (HQ 16) for about 5 years. When thinking of getting a new machine I looked at their new models and then at APQS. I live in Iowa so having the dealer/showroom and factory near me was a big factor. My husband went with me to test drive an APQS machine and I had my list of "wants" ready. I narrowed the field down to the Freedom or the Millennium. My husband was VERY impressed with the quality of the frame and the machine and since they were having a sale on the Millennium, I chose that one. I've had it since late March and love it. I also chose to add the automatic advance and so glad I did. Ask a lot of questions - talk to people about their experiences, etc. I know 3 people who have APQS machines and have had them for many years without a speck of trouble. I love the 8 year warranty, too.

Okay Abbey I think everyone has said it all.. I have been playing with/using an APQS machine since the mid 90' and have owned a Mille since 2001.. I think everyone giving advice forgot you are ALREADY a Gammill owner and want to make a change. As far as the rails and oxidation go, the Edgerider wheels pretty much solve that problem and now APQS has the new M & M wheels available which take care of the oxidation problem, so no need to worry about a lot of rail cleaning. Service after sales is sometimes more important than the actual machine and no one comes close to APQS.

Good luck on your choice.

Okay Abbey I think everyone has said it all.. I have been playing with/using an APQS machine since the mid 90' and have owned a Mille since 2001.. I think everyone giving advice forgot you are ALREADY a Gammill owner and want to make a change. As far as the rails and oxidation go, the Edgerider wheels pretty much solve that problem and now APQS has the new M & M wheels available which take care of the oxidation problem, so no need to worry about a lot of rail cleaning. Service after sales is sometimes more important than the actual machine and no one comes close to APQS.

Good luck on your choice.

I'll add my 2 cents. I think I am somewhat qualified having owned a Gammill Optimum Plus as my first machine. I have owned an APQS Millie, Liberty and now a Freedom SR. I would go and test drive every machine you are considering because every quilter is different and every machine handles differently for each person (because we are individuals and are not machines ourselves). I sold my Gammill because is was too big of a machine for me and I constantly had stitch problems. Anyway, I bought a Millie and a Liberty for business. Sold the Liberty when I quit quilting for others. Then APQS had such a great deal for trading in that I trade my Millie for a Freedom SR 2008.

I love my Freedom SR. For me, it was a better choice than the Millie. The Millie weighed more and it was harder for me to control, but now with the bliss that may not be an issue. I love the service that is offered, it can't be beat. I love the fact that it is made in the USA and not overseas. Everyone is so helpful. I love the stitch quality and don't mind the smaller bobbins either.

Good Luck on your decision. I know I made the right one for me:D

I'll add my 2 cents. I think I am somewhat qualified having owned a Gammill Optimum Plus as my first machine. I have owned an APQS Millie, Liberty and now a Freedom SR. I would go and test drive every machine you are considering because every quilter is different and every machine handles differently for each person (because we are individuals and are not machines ourselves). I sold my Gammill because is was too big of a machine for me and I constantly had stitch problems. Anyway, I bought a Millie and a Liberty for business. Sold the Liberty when I quit quilting for others. Then APQS had such a great deal for trading in that I trade my Millie for a Freedom SR 2008.

I love my Freedom SR. For me, it was a better choice than the Millie. The Millie weighed more and it was harder for me to control, but now with the bliss that may not be an issue. I love the service that is offered, it can't be beat. I love the fact that it is made in the USA and not overseas. Everyone is so helpful. I love the stitch quality and don't mind the smaller bobbins either.

Good Luck on your decision. I know I made the right one for me:D

Archived