how close to stitch next to applique

I love applique quilts but am having a hard time quilting them...I have a couple of my own to do someday and will make myself outline the applique...surely after a couple of small quilts I should get the hang of it!!! I hope, anyways!!!!

At the moment, my applique project is "reminiscence" by the Rabbit Factory...one of the nicest patterns I've seen...by the time it's done I want to be able to do a stunning job of quilting it.

Here is some information I found, I don't know how it applies to us as LA quilters.

According to Carla Hassel, author of "You can be a super quilter" (the first quilting book I ever bought) "It is customary to qult 1/8"-1/4_ aroudnt he qppliqued pieces and never to quilt on the pieces themselves. Additional quilting lines can be added at 1/4"-1/2" intervals which imitate the original quilting line" (p. 73). [echo quilting, I guess]

Karen McTavish outlines close to the applique edge with monofilament thread, then uses regular thread for background. That way if you mess up it doesn't show. I have had some really funky applique flowers and I used same color thread as the flower to add detail lines coming out from the center of the flower and veins in the leaves. Instead of stopping and starting the green leaf thread I just curlycued my way to the next leaf and it made a cute vine. I used yellow thread to add the stamins in the center of the flower. It really makes the flowers and leaves look real.

Hi Julie!

I just used my Applique Helper on this pretty applique quilt. Thank goodness it was on the small side, this lady does such beautiful work, I was quite nervous. Every so often I hit the applique, but I used a 50/50 blend and the apllique really "popped". I sort of "stitched in the ditch" next to it.

Hester - Nice Job! And yes - LOVE that pansy fabric! That is Fansy Pansy by

Marcus Brothers by the way. (I have a whole bolt of the flannel in purples -

that I just covet and can NOT cut into it yet!!!!!!) It comes with different

colored backrounds too!

Caron nice job on your quilting too! It looks great! It really does help if the

applique is applied correctly and well. Here is a photo of one I did, and yes,

I went on top of some of the appliques as well......

And yes, all of those arches in the border were appliques

and This was my first quilt doing crosshatching too!

Archived