Switching to a 14' table...wondering why others are downsizing?

Guest Linda S

I think it's mostly to do with the size of their quilting room. My studio is 25' x 17', so I have plenty of room for my 14' table. Good thing too, because I have a tiny little customer (I doubt she's 5' tall) who makes King sized quilts all the time!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when I was shopping for my machine I read the advice of a couple of chats that all said if you have the room, get the 14' table. I have a pretty large studio, 20 X 37 so definately had the room. I bought the 14' table and have never looked back. I make a lot of large quilts but even if I didn't, I know that if I knew there was something bigger and better out there, I would always think things would just be sooo much easier if I just had the biggest and best, ;)

I remember when I was shopping for my machine I read the advice of a couple of chats that all said if you have the room, get the 14' table. I have a pretty large studio, 20 X 37 so definately had the room. I bought the 14' table and have never looked back. I make a lot of large quilts but even if I didn't, I know that if I knew there was something bigger and better out there, I would always think things would just be sooo much easier if I just had the biggest and best, ;)

Originally posted by meg

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

get this...i live 200 miles to the closest walmart! double yikes!! :D

kristina -

how far is the closest quilt shop? i hope closer.

Is there still the one in Battlemountain?....other wise Meg she has to go to Salt Lake City or Reno...either way its about an 8 hour drive one way to Reno and a 5+ hour drive to SLC..... the towns are few and FAR FAR between out there. Ya just don't run to the store for milk. Meg she lives in the land of spare gas cans and water jugs...you don't leave home without either one in the car. Well it not quite that bad, but she does live in the land of Open Air and God's Country.

Originally posted by meg

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

get this...i live 200 miles to the closest walmart! double yikes!! :D

kristina -

how far is the closest quilt shop? i hope closer.

Is there still the one in Battlemountain?....other wise Meg she has to go to Salt Lake City or Reno...either way its about an 8 hour drive one way to Reno and a 5+ hour drive to SLC..... the towns are few and FAR FAR between out there. Ya just don't run to the store for milk. Meg she lives in the land of spare gas cans and water jugs...you don't leave home without either one in the car. Well it not quite that bad, but she does live in the land of Open Air and God's Country.

Bonnie, there is a shop in Elko that is nice. Last I heard, the little shop in Battle Mountain is for sale, I don't know if she is still open. Personally, I would drive to Salt Lake or Las Vegas...many more quilt shops and choices! Even though we live in Elko now (used to live in Ely and Winnemucca), it still is a jaunt to just about anything. We are almost as far from Salt Lake and Reno as Kristina is...and much farther from Las Vegas! And yes, we do always carry gas cans and water jugs! You just never know!

Funny, my sister did not believe me about stopping for gas when she drove up from Arizona. She ran out of gas at night about 65 miles from the nearest town. she had my elderly mother and her teenage daughter with her. She took my advice on the way back!

Bonnie, there is a shop in Elko that is nice. Last I heard, the little shop in Battle Mountain is for sale, I don't know if she is still open. Personally, I would drive to Salt Lake or Las Vegas...many more quilt shops and choices! Even though we live in Elko now (used to live in Ely and Winnemucca), it still is a jaunt to just about anything. We are almost as far from Salt Lake and Reno as Kristina is...and much farther from Las Vegas! And yes, we do always carry gas cans and water jugs! You just never know!

Funny, my sister did not believe me about stopping for gas when she drove up from Arizona. She ran out of gas at night about 65 miles from the nearest town. she had my elderly mother and her teenage daughter with her. She took my advice on the way back!

we actually have a very small quilt shop here. a few bolts of fabric....100 i think. and there are 2 quilt shops in elko!

gas cans and water jugs and winter coats for all plus quilts in the car! you never know. it can get below freezing at night even in the middle on summer depending where you go.

i was in a single vehicle multi-rollover over 9 years ago...and i got myself and boys out of the truck and was sitting on the side of the road before anyone ever passed by! hows that for remote?!

it probably isn't quite that bad anymore...but its close.

and yes, this is God's country and it is beautiful! just don't talk about taking our water. I tend to get very aggitated about that. we still have springs flowing in our hills and our snow runoff is filling the creeks right now! just beautiful. :)

we actually have a very small quilt shop here. a few bolts of fabric....100 i think. and there are 2 quilt shops in elko!

gas cans and water jugs and winter coats for all plus quilts in the car! you never know. it can get below freezing at night even in the middle on summer depending where you go.

i was in a single vehicle multi-rollover over 9 years ago...and i got myself and boys out of the truck and was sitting on the side of the road before anyone ever passed by! hows that for remote?!

it probably isn't quite that bad anymore...but its close.

and yes, this is God's country and it is beautiful! just don't talk about taking our water. I tend to get very aggitated about that. we still have springs flowing in our hills and our snow runoff is filling the creeks right now! just beautiful. :)

I started with a 14 ft. but when I moved the machine from my shop to the house I didn't have the space for 14 ft.

I haven't found I miss the 14 ft. I haven't had a quilt that didn't fit (including king size). What I do miss is being able to keep my Hartley fence at the end of the table. Find I no longer use it now (out of site I guess).

I started with a 14 ft. but when I moved the machine from my shop to the house I didn't have the space for 14 ft.

I haven't found I miss the 14 ft. I haven't had a quilt that didn't fit (including king size). What I do miss is being able to keep my Hartley fence at the end of the table. Find I no longer use it now (out of site I guess).

Archived